Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2003, 09:48 PM

Default I call yer bluff

15-30 at the Bellagio. Very good game. Archetypic weak-tight player limps from MP. I raise on the button with the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Loose, habitual bluffer who claims to be a pot limit player calls from the small blind. He seems to be annoyed that his bets don't have as much leverage in limit poker. 3-handed for two bets.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB bets. MP calls and I call.

Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB bets. MP calls and I call.

River is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB bets. MP calls and I call.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: I call yer bluff

I would raise somewhere, 'cause it's hard to get three of a kind.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:59 PM

Where would you raise? I'm not very afraid of a ten.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:12 PM

If you're unafraid of a ten then the turn obviously.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:35 AM

Yeah, but it's a lot easier when they give you two of the three on the board.

I would raise because I want to minimize anyone drawing out on me because a quuen, king or ace on the turn or river could give someone a higher pair than my jacks.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:38 AM

You should have titled this post "I Overcall Your Bluff" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, with this board the MP weak tight flop caller concerns me as much as the flop bettor. I think you should consider finding out if the ten is out be raising here. The problem is that a tough lead bettor can reraise without the ten, knowing you probably don't have one and will probably back off.

BTW, if MP had raised on the turn, do you fold?

~ Rick

Old 11-15-2003, 03:26 AM

Aren't you afraid of aces, kings, and queens? I agree with most posters... you need to raise. I'd recommend raising the flop. Let's get rid of that weak tight player holding overcards ASAP.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:33 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Mr SB sure does look like a pocker pair or AK, or K4s. The question is what does mp have? Weak tight says a decent ace, a middle pair, maybe a monster that he doesn't want to raise?

It's hard for me to look at two players and decide the best strategy is to just call but I think you have a live one betting into you and I'd hate to see that stop. There is just some sort of nice auora about getting 2 to 1 on every bet.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:48 AM

Default Results

SB was a loose player, so he could have called my raise with all sorts of hands. He was also a habitual bluffer, so he would bet a ragged flop like this with any hand; he is likely to continue betting as long as he isn't raised.

MP was VERY weak-tight. When he calls the flop bet, he has to have a small/medium pocket pair, A4s, or perhaps a ten. He would not call with overcards on a paired board like this. He would not raise the flop or turn as a bluff (or with just a small pair) even if I show weakness by just calling. So if he raises the turn, he has JJ beaten without a doubt. He will also fold a small pair if I breathe the wrong way on the pot. He will continue to call to the river as long as I don't raise, though. In fact, he's only calling at all because SB has bluffed him (and shown) several times already.

So I figured that SB was likely drawing to at most three outs (I had no reason at all to put him on AK, AQ, or KQ). MP was likely drawing to two outs. So I saw no reason to raise at any point. I'm confident that my opponents will both fold as soon as I raise, and I think I will get one bet on each street from them if I don't raise. Since they are drawing to three and two outs respectively, I'd prefer to show them a river card and have them both put in that last bet.

SB showed KJo and MP showed 66 and I took it down.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:55 AM

Without the MP, heads-up, I like your play. With him in, there maybe too many outs against you to give cheap cards. I like raising the flop. Often the SB, being aggressive, will reraise with a small pair and the weak tight player in MP will fold or raise. However, since you just called the flop, the SB bets the turn and the MP calls, I tend to think they both have underpairs. I would consider raising the river.

I you had had AA or KK, I think the way you played it would be the way to go.