Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2003, 07:37 PM

Default vegas sushi lovers alert

just got back from vegas. Not much poker involved (played a little, but uneventfully). mostly hanging with the boys, fishing lake mead (fall striped bass bit is happening, and it's a blast) and trying to scam free $#!+ (hang out in the keno lounge with discarded tickets to get free drinks). my friends and I have an annual "King of Free $#!+" mini contest whereby the one who can garner the most free stuff wins the title. tee shirts, decks of cards, key chains...it's all worth points in the quest for the title!!

Anyway, just wanted to mention a restaurant we found. it's Sushi Factory on Tropicana (west of the strip). the deal is 23.95 for all you can eat, with a one hour time limit for dinner. Very good quality. The sushi is made to order, and not just sitting there on a tray at a buffet. Hot food like tempura and potstickers are also available. As an added bonus, these pieces of sushi had the smallest amounts of rice that I've ever seen, so you don't get filled up on rice!

We talked to the owner who was behind the sushi bar, and he told us that he used to work at a restaurant in LA with the owner of the "Sushi on..." restaurants. We also go to Sushi on Tropicana, so we remarked on the similarities to their menu's/deals. The Factory owner told us that he's still good friends with the other owner, and that they agreed to split up the town. Sushi on... gets east of the strip and Sushi Factory gets the west side. Both are highly recommended by me and my friends, but I think I have to give the nod in quality (slightly) to sushi factory. Both are great, but the quality at the Factory is just a notch above.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Sweet! I\'m glad you posted this. *NM*

Old 10-07-2003, 10:38 PM

Default Re: vegas sushi lovers alert

I judge every town I visit by the following criteria:

5.) The Poker
4.) The Aesthetic Quality
3.) The People
2.) The Toro
1.) The Unagi

Doesn't everyone?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:13 PM

Hey M2d. Uh,,,mmmmm....errrr....you forgot to mention...you did see the Babe on this visit. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Next time, we can go to Sushi Factory together. You know I love everything Japanese.....

LGPG,
Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 AM

I rather like Sumo on Sunset and Green Valley Parkway.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:09 AM

unagi is my favorite sushi.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:36 AM

Babe,
it's assumed that, if I'm in town on a weekday, I'll make it my mission to get down to the Mirage to see/play with the one and only PokerBabe.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:42 AM

I've never understood why 1/2 of the interior of Sumo always looks like a storage closet for chairs, tables, decorations, et cetera. It has been like that since they opened a few years ago. If they cleared all that crap out, it would be an outstanding place .....
Old 10-09-2003, 10:44 PM

Unagi + (real)Kani + Asparugus = Black Dragon Roll
Anago + (real)Kani + Cucumber = Golden Dragon Roll

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 11:54 PM

I think one of the many wonderful intricasies of sushi is the fact that unagi and anago are so uniquely different. I order them religiously wherever I go, and am always moved to wonder why we Americans do not farm and eat our lovely serpentine friend the eel.

Is it squeamishness? If so, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, coming from a culture that loves its cows and pigs and chickens so much. Oh, yeah--and their organs as well.

Give me the eel anyday.