Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 05:06 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default The Perfect Storm

Commerce 6/12 (yea it's 6/12 but read on it doesn't look like 6/12)

Table is loose, half the table doesn't raise AK, the other half raises pocket ducks. New poster in the CO, he's drunk, stands up and sits down constantly during a hand, and is a bit paranoid.

I'm in the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG Limps, EP Limps, MP Limps, LP limps, CO raises, Button calls, I 3 bet, all call.

7 players

(21.1 SB)Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, checks to LP who bets, CO raises, Button folds, I 3 bet, all call to CO who caps, I call, all call.

6 players

(22.55 BB)Turn:7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, checks to CO who bets, I raise, all call.

(34.55 BB)River:9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, checks to CO who bets, I call, LP calls.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:22 AM

Default Couple of Questions I\'m wondering about

1) I know we don't talk about when the pot gets large much on the SS forum. But here is a clear case were the pot has reached a point early that it's worth trying to take down immediatly. Does anybody see anything different that can be done to maximize the win rate? In case you didn't see it I was hoping for a check through or single bet on the flop and then hope to get a double bet clear in on the turn via a checkraise. When the chance to 3 bet the flop came up I changed plans and decided to take it.

2) Who bets out on the river? Who checkraises the river again? I thought check call was my best play.

3) After you play this hand and see the abuse players have taken to call you down, what adjustments do you make to your play style?
Old 10-03-2003, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Couple of Questions I\'m wondering about

1 - good play. You were going to represent AK that missed, and then when you got the opportunity, you used the maximum leverage to get your opponents out.

2 - Given that you weren't three bet on the turn, I would bet/call the river, but with two one card straights out there, there is certainly an argument for check/call.

3 - Value bet, value bet, value bet. You might also find some river bluffing opportunities, because your opponents might still be in there with just about anything, and might have nothing to show down at that point.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Re: The Perfect Storm

I love the way you played it. I think the CO has QQ or AJ and you should have check-raised the river also. Wow, what a great table, hope you faired well.

Peace,
JT
Old 10-03-2003, 10:34 AM

I like the way you played the hand. The only thing I'm not sure on is the river. I would definitely check, but after nobody bets till the CO, I would almost want to throw in a check-raise. If you think you can drive out two pair on the Four-to-a-straight board, then it's definitely worth it. Since the CO didn't 3-bet you on the turn, you're ahead of him, unless he grossly overplayed his TT. He also could've gotten tricky with AA and not capped preflop to disguise his hand and not capped the flop hoping to pop you on the turn but wussed out when you check-raised. Actually, the more I think about it, the more check-raising is a bad idea. You don't want to have to face calling a 3-bet, and the chances of you driving out 2-pair is slim in that huge of a pot. Smooth calling with hopes of getting Jacks to overcall is much better. I like how you played it on all streets.

Good hand.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:49 AM

This is exactly what I put the CO on also.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:18 AM

Default Results

Results

CO had JTo

LP had T4s

Other than the pre-flop call I can't complain much about the LP's play. His flop bet may have been unwise, but since everyone called 3 bets cold he came out looking like a rose.

The CO is just a nut.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:26 PM

I was actually a bit disappointed not to see the triple C/R also. Always a highlight of any game.