Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 03:08 AM

Location: The land where the sun never sets, and marriage is - as it should be - a 4-letter word
Default I seldom do it anyway, but

I have, as of today, lost my rights to ever tell another bad beat story.

Online 3/6 - the game is a little wild; very few raises are coming from trash hands, but PLENTY of them are calling.

I'm "only" stuck about $90 after 3 hours of play; my sets have been getting snapped on a regular basis but the one that DID hold up turned (literally) into a full house which took off a lower F/H, a straight, and two flushes - all of whom called caps on the flop and turn plus two bets each on the river - nice pot but not the point of the post.

OK then - Kc-Qc in the SB.

Six players call and I raise (any strong disagreement with this choice) ?

So naturally [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] it comes back to me capped; not what I'd hoped for but things could be worse.

The BB is in, so 8 of us take the flop in for 4 bets.

Pot = $93 after the rake.

Flop: As Jc Tc (Well now, that's a flop :-).

My mouse (it has a mind of its own) bets out. I never even stopped to think about whether a check[raise] would have been the better choice; in retrospect I think betting was the right choice - a moot point since it comes back to me (again) capped.

Five of us go to the turn. Pot = $153.

RED DEUCE REQUESTED !

Request denied; I have to settle for the ACE OF CLUBS (a royal fush for those of you scoring at home [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]).

Bet, check, FEINT (lol) ?

I bet out (opinions, please).

My thinking is: IF the "big" hand happens to be on my right I could scare out certain hands by [check]raising (after he bets) and if the big hand is on my left, his bet, my subsequent [check]raise, and his (likely) 3-bet could leave us heads-up - and I want calls from everyone who's willing to play.

Back to me, CAPPED again (thank you poker gods) with all five of us still in.

Pot = $303.

Now comes the "red deuce" (actually the 6s).

I bet out again.

Call, call, RAISE, call, I 3-bet, call, call, CAP, call.

$453 pot and my only interest in what they have is out of curiosity.

1. T T - T's full of Aces

2. J J - J's full of Aces

3. A J - Aces full of Jacks

4. A T - Aces full of Tens

Here is what I would like to know.

Which of these hands would "YOU" have been able to release, and when would you have tossed them ?

By my very rough estimate, this pot had at least $100 more in it than it should have; it may have had as much as $150 more than it should have.

As for me . . .

I honestly think I could have released T-T on the flop once four of my opponents put in 4 bets each; I'd have a hard time believing that I held the best hand at that point, and if I'm right I'm probably dead to one out.

Staying to the end cost this player roughly $60.

A-T hits the muck on the flop as soon as the first raise occurs - no way am I ahead and what card am I thrilled to see on the turn ? (Another ~ $60)

A-J . . . this is tough. I have "top two", the pot is already huge, and an Ace SHOULD make me close to unbeatable. (I know, I know, I'll muck a set but lean toward calling with two pair, but THIS hand HAS outs - or should I say AN out).

Obviously, once I make "top full" on the turn I'm in 'till the bitter end.

J-J . . . I'm not clever enough to muck this on the flop; truth be told, I probably ride this one out all the way. I can beat anything but A-A, A-J, A-T, (or a royal flush, and I'm not putting anyone on a R/F).

"Your profit in loose games COMES from winning inordinately large pots with your big hands. On those days when you don't make any big hands, expect to do poorly or win very little" - 'D.S.' (I may not have gotten the quote exactly right).

"Your profits INCREASE when you are able to muck hands that might, on the surface, appear to be monsters" - 'ME'

Comments, please.

Are my above stated opinions reasonable ?

Or am I just feeling a little full of myself after winning a $453 pot - $321 of which was profit ?

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond.

Best wishes,

- H

P.S. Mike Caro already uses "straight flushes" as his closing line.

As far as I know, nobody uses "royal flushes" as their sign-off.

Nah - too obnoxious (even for me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).
Old 09-22-2003, 04:21 AM

Default Re: I seldom do it anyway, but

[ QUOTE ]
"Your profits INCREASE when you are able to muck hands that might, on the surface, appear to be monsters" - 'ME'

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, "it depends" on what you define as monsters, board, action, etc. But in general, I'm pretty sure that looking to for opportunites make "good laydowns" like full houses on single paired boards is not a good way to increase your profits in a low limit game.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:46 AM

Location: The land where the sun never sets, and marriage is - as it should be - a 4-letter word

I asked for feedback and I appreciate the time you took to offer some.

I should have been more specific; which if any of the losing hands would YOU have released, and WHEN would you have released them.

Two of those involved in this particular hand could not let go of a full house if their life depended on it.

* A-T called two bets cold pre-flop; I would NOT expect anyone who played that badly BEFORE the flop to be able to let go of a flopped two pair - let alone a TURNED full house !

What I'm wondering is what how YOU (and the other regular posters) would have handled the post-flop action.

I look forward to your reply.

Best wishes,

- H
Old 09-22-2003, 10:45 AM

Wow, what a pot!
-
To answer, I think it depends- on how crazy this game had been before this hand, my position, etc.
There's a good chance the AT and maybe the AJ would have been mucked pre-flop.
-
And sad to say about my timid game, there's a possibility I would have mucked KQs in your position. (I'm open to critique).
-
JJ and TT I'm stuck to the showdown.
Great hand. Nice post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 11:40 AM

$453 pot - $321 of which was profit

Not to nitpick, but the max you can put into the pot in an online 3/6 game in one hand is $72, so either the pot wasn't $453 or your profit was $381.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which if any of the losing hands would YOU have released, and WHEN would you have released them.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT and JJ there's no way I'm releasing pre-flop the way it sounds like the betting went. AT and AJ, it depends on how exactly it got capped pre-flop and whether they're suited or not. There may have been a spot where I let those go.

No way I drop TT, JJ, or AJ on the flop. Realistically, I'm probably not dropping AT either.

On the turn and river, I'm going for a cap w/ AT and AJ. With both a straight and a flush on the board on the turn, against many opponents I'll be in there 'til the end w/ JJ & TT. On the other hand, if it's multiple bets cold to me w/ those hands (especially if two solid players raise and re-raise) on the river after a capped turn, I might lay them down.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:38 PM

Default Profit was $381 - (typo - N/M)

-