Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Default I mucked AA on the flop...please help analyze this...

After being up 300BB in five weeks playing PP .50/1, I figured it was time to move up to 1/2, especially since bankroll considerations are not a huge concern for me.

Given that all of the posts I have read so far implied that there would be little difference in the players between these two levels, I was surprised yesterday during my first foray into 1/2, since at three different tables the action was much tighter than at .5/1, with usually no more than 2-4 players seeing the flop, more PF raising, more checkraising, etc.

Anyway, after approx six hours of playing yesterday across three sessions, I was down forty bucks, twenty of which I lost misplaying two hands in thirty minutes (via overplaying). And then, in the CO, I was dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 and UTG+2 both call, I raise, folded to the SB who calls, folded back to UTG 1&2, who both call...four of us see the flop...

7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG+1 bets, and UTG+2 raises (HUH!)...

I scratch my head, and quickly try to assess...are either on a flush draw, or could one or both have a ten, in which case I'm drawing to two outs...if I raise, I assume one or both will call, and I still won't know if I'm ahead or not...if I plan to check and call, I may have to put in more than one bet per street on a hand where I am drawing mighty thin...

With my head spinning, I click "fold," and get away from this hand.

Was this a correct laydown, after a bet and a raise, or was I just playing really weak-tight?
Old 09-15-2003, 08:41 PM

Default Re: I mucked AA on the flop...please help analyze this...

This is a bad fold IMO. Your opponents could have a wide range of hands which you are crushing including straight draws, a 7, a pocket pair, a flush draw, overcards, etc. Most of the time you will be a big favorite after this flop.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:33 AM

Default Weak-Tight

3-bet the flop. It will make the play of the hand simpler, and you will not have to worry about your play to such a degree so that you post it here because of your uncertainty. Peace of mind comes to me from tight-aggressive play, so I would take the initiative. You provide no read on UTG+2 and not much about the character of the game, but he could have a flush draw, a seven, 89 or a middle pocket pair. There is no reason for you to think you are behind yet.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I scratch my head, and quickly try to assess...are either on a flush draw, or could one or both have a ten, in which case I'm drawing to two outs...if I raise, I assume one or both will call, and I still won't know if I'm ahead or not

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet again, we see an example of a studious player not actually reading hands but only putting their opponents on a hand which either (1) has their hand beat and drawing very slimp or (2) is drawing very live against him. No other hands were even considered.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:09 AM

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I can see how I was playing scared even before the cards were dealt. In addition, the comments seem to be suggesting that one should never muck AA on the flop, or at least not until others have had a chance to respond to your raise.

Curiously, say both players who acted before me call my raise. Should I then just call bets through the river? Or, if I raise and then get checkraised/reraised on either the turn or river, would that be the time to toss the aces?

I ask all of the above as a way to try to learn when during a hand one should muck AA (if ever!?).