Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2003, 04:21 AM

Default Was this Wrong?

I am in a 109$ NL HE Multi at Stars. There are 30 left, 18 get paid. I am in top ten with about 9000 chips. Back from break get AKos 1st hand, blinds are 300-600. I raise from 2 seats behind the button to 1800. The big blind is all that is left and he is taking his time. Finally, he calls and raises me another 2400. His stack is about the same as mine. He took a long time which may have been a Hollywood act, but it made me think his play was very odd. I reraise him all-in very quickly as I am fairly sure I am not up against AA or KK. He calls me with 33 and wins.

I personally don't mind the gamble with AK, because it can beat QQ or down almost half the time. I would have had a much tougher time with his hand though as he is either a slight favorite or a huge dog. Then again what do I know...
Old 08-27-2003, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Was this Wrong?

If you always get called, then you are risking T7200 to win at least T11100 (I think there should be antes at this point as well).

In general, this is going to be a positive expectation scenario for you against the range of hands most players will have here although the mini raise should set off some warning bells. You are in steal position, so he can't expect you to be as strong as AK.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:56 AM

You can't fold.

If you call, you've got half your chips in.

You might just as well move in here.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:21 PM

I think the preflop raise looks like a steal. If you want a battle that is good.

If you don't want a battle make it 5x BB. This way you won't be getting the reraise (and probably not the call) from the 33.