Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2003, 09:05 PM

Default my cards are still live

in a full game on 3rd street with a 3flush, in general,how many of your suit do you need to see out before youll not play it? 3?
Old 08-10-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Re: my cards are still live

But if there is a raise:

1)Call if there is another caller
2)Call even if it is likely you will be heads up, if you have an overcard to the raiser.
3)If it is raised and reraised, call only if you have an overcard to both raisers.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:11 AM

Also, take into account ante size and general quality of the cards. If it's a 7-5-2 with 3 gone it's out the door. A-J-T then I probably play it unless conditions are atrocious. That much is obvious, though. If this is a LL table where 6-7 people will call the bringin and then call bets until 5th or so, I'd take one off even with 3 dead and less than perfectly live pairing cards.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:07 AM

Caveat: I play very tight.

If the player on my left completes and it's folded to me, it doesn't matter if all my cards are live. I fold unless I have two overcards to his probable pocket pair, in which case I will likely raise. Exceptions: he bluffs a lot and is unlikely to have the pair he is representing, or he is a weak player over whom I have good control.

If the player to my left completes and only one person calls, I fold if two or more of my cards are dead. Exception: I have an overcard to the probable pair, in which case I fold only if three or more of my cards are dead.

If the player to my left completes and two or more people call, I fold if three or more of my cards are dead.

If nobody completes, whether I limp in with a 3-flush or not depends not only on how live my cards are but also on their rank and any straight possibilities. If they are all small and scattered (e.g., 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]), I fold if three or more of my cards are dead.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:54 AM

it is a very tricky question because it really depends upon the numberof players that are in, how high your cards are etc. i suspect that the answer you are seeking is 2, which is if the hand only has flush value and there are no raises and there will be a multiway pot.

Pat
Old 08-11-2003, 01:49 PM

In general, three, although there are a lot of factors that can knock that number down, as several astute posters have already pointed out. I will say that I may play a little too loose, and I probably play the later streets better than you do.