Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2003, 05:36 PM

Default mistake better the river?

just posted behind button in 9-handed 10-20, and see K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . folded to button+3 who limps, folded to me, I raise, blinds fold and im heads up.

flop comes A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . my opponent bets, i raise, and he calls. turn is 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . he checks, i bet, he raises my nut flush (with exception of str8 flush), i 6 it, and he calls. river is 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . opponent check-raises me, so i just call. he shows A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] for the nut boat. should i have checked the river when the board paired? or is this just one of those situations where you kind of get set up?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:35 PM

Default Re: mistake better the river?

I think you played it well on all streets, and your opponent played it very poorly on all streets but the river. I'm not sure what to say here.

-Diplomat
Old 07-24-2003, 02:38 AM

hi nuke
great check-raise by your opponent. you must bet the river though. nothing you can do here. i don't see anyway possible to avoid the check-raise here. this is one of the best check-raises i've ever seen. let's see here....he knows you have the flush, hmmmm. he knows this. i don't understand why he check-raises the turn. i think that is a mistake. why does he check-raise the turn? he might be making an image play, but that's pretty expensive heads up when he could close the action getting correct odds by calling the turn. i don't know here nuke. rate him as aggressive and tend to handle him as such. but the bad turn play sets up a spectacular river check-raise. with 3 opponents in the pot, i think that the turn check-raise makes better sense. but i'm not sure.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:22 AM

I agree with Diplomat, absolutely nothing you could do.

He played it horribly on every street but the river. When he check raises you on the turn you put him on a flush. Consequently, one of his cards must be a [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] and so it is impossible for him to fill on the river. Given the betting sequence you have to bet the river everytime.

Also you have to call his river raise because his turn actions are so inconsistent to the hand he is representing now.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:03 AM

"this is one of the best check-raises i've ever seen."

This has to be hyperbole, or checkraising is not allowed where you play.

This is a pretty standard checkraise. It's his opponent's play on the earlier streets that is worth discussing, and criticizing.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:16 AM

Why did nuke's opponent play so poorly? He got nuke to voluntarily put in 3.5 big bets while nuke was either beat or had a much worse hand. However, nuke only got 3 big bets into the pot when he was ahead.