Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2003, 05:42 PM

Default I need advice on handling down swings

First,let me apologoze if this post sounds like whining. That is not my intent. I really need some advice on handling serious downswings. I have been playing online 3/6 limit hold em for about 6 months and have had a good time of it until recently. I have been playing about 20 hours a week and winning between $200 and $500 a week at the ring games (although there was only one $500 week and most are in the $200-$260 range). I feel like this is not too bad. I consider myself a tightish player but loosen up once I have won a couple of pots and have shown a couple hands at showdown. Lately though I have been getting everything cracked and by hands that I consider unplayable in most situations. Most of these beats are at the river. Lately I have been sitting at tables for 40 or 50 hands and getting nothing better than J5 off to start. I don't consider this a playable hand in most situations. Then when I finally get something playable like AQ suited and raise it pre flop I get beat by something like J5 off at the river. I understand getting beaten by a lucky river now and then, and I know that is part of poker, but this is happening all the time lately, and I am beginning to lose confidence. What can I do to battle this confidence loss? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:57 PM

Default Re: I need advice on handling down swings

My advice is to review your decisions on each street. Did you make mistakes? Yes, then fix them. No, then forget the hand as there is nothing you can learn from it. Not sure on certain situations consult books, forum etc. Can't get a bad beat or succession of bad beats out of your head end the session early and don't start up until they are gone.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:26 PM

Default I\'ve got perfect advice...

Read around in the small stakes section on how hands are posted, then, when you have a 'trouble' hand post it in that forum. You'd be surprised on how well or bad you played.

Also, NO SHAME POSTING - no matter what the verdict of the hand.

Maybe you have a leak that has yet to come to light.

Welcome to the forum,
Larry Joe

Old 07-22-2003, 09:03 PM

Default Re: I need advice on handling down swings

Make a spreadsheet with your poker results, and keep track of how much you earn and how long you played. When you post a massive loser and your hourly win rate only changes by about 8 cents it's hard to feel too bad. Also you might want to check out some of the things Mike Caro has written, at www.poker1.com. Or John Feeney's book sold on this website. Or clarkmeister's post called Running Bad or Playing Badly.