Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Some Noob Questions About Shorthanded Play

I feel absolutely horrible at 6-Max. Its like lose all control once I sit at such a table.

I have very little control over my game. Sometimes I feel like I'm playin glike a complete rock and at other times I feel like I'm way too LAG. Please help me by answering a few questions.

How much more important is seat selection shorthanded versus full ring? Afterall its a lot easier playing against blinds that actually fold instead of insta-3-betting my steal raises.

Is it okay to limp baby pairs and mid-low suited connectors first if there are loose passives behind you? (Like 40/5/1)

How important are stats? Do you feel the need to datamine or are you comfortable with manual observation? I have a hard time observing more than two tables. Anymore and I start losing focus. When I lose focus I have a much harder time making post flop decisions. I need to know how my opponents play in order to make good postflop decisions.

I hear some people play 5,6, or more tables! Are these guys relying solely on stats? Is it possible to play solely based on numbers?

Thanks for your time.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Some Noob Questions About Shorthanded Play

start out at 1 or 2 tables, honestly. i started out 4-tabling and got rocked. now i can 3 or 4 table and i still pick up some reads.

table selection is important - if you can find a 60/5 guy and sit at his left with two bad 15/8 guys to your left, wowow, $$$.

about open limping - at the limits you play, you'll hardly ever find good spots to open limp.

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I feel like I'm playin glike a complete rock and at other times I feel like I'm way too LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]
you'll feel this for a while.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:08 PM

read these:

Six Max Baby Steps by MrWookie

Pooh-Bah Dissertation - 6 Max Stats FAQ by MrWookie

I was lost until I found these - these are insta-favorites
Old 12-14-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How important are stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are important but I haven't had to worry too much about finding juicy tables. I play .5/1 6-max at Party and Stars and it is rare for me to find VPIP below 45 (usualy 50-60).

Coupled with this, I have been choosing tables w/ the lowest avg pot size (3-5 BB). For me, these table are usually uber-passive and when I get involved in a hand, they play right into my palms and the pots are nice.

I started 6-max by going for the highest avg pot but found them a long wait and then filled with TAGs or maniacs.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM

2tables of 5/10 is still close to 200hands/hr so its not bad

seat selection is critical
Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel absolutely horrible at 6-Max. Its like lose all control once I sit at such a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds familiar to me. Mainly what this comes from is that you’re being put in positions that you are not familiar with against players that you don't really know how to play. How you get past this is by playing a lot of hands, posting some for them, and reviewing you're play as much as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
I have very little control over my game. Sometimes I feel like I'm playin glike a complete rock and at other times I feel like I'm way too LAG. Please help me by answering a few questions.

How much more important is seat selection shorthanded versus full ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it hugely important. It's great to have a loose player to your right. As you are new to SH I would avoid sitting to the right of maniacs. It puts you in many tough spots.

[ QUOTE ]
Afterall its a lot easier playing against blinds that actually fold instead of insta-3-betting my steal raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it should be said that playing against people who insta-3-bet steal raises is pretty profitable. If you're up against loose blinds, tighten up to hands that decent SD value.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it okay to limp baby pairs and mid-low suited connectors first if there are loose passives behind you? (Like 40/5/1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I mean I could see it UTG 6-handed at a loose table. Besides that you'd be better off folding IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
How important are stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Other peoples? Pretty important for multi-tabling.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you feel the need to datamine or are you comfortable with manual observation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't rely on this it's going to be gone from party very soon.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time observing more than two tables. Anymore and I start losing focus. When I lose focus I have a much harder time making post flop decisions. I need to know how my opponents play in order to make good postflop decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you do, but you can make generally correct decisions without reads. It's just a matter of having experience and knowing what kind of hand a random opponent could have.

[ QUOTE ]
I hear some people play 5,6, or more tables!

[/ QUOTE ]

Like me.

[ QUOTE ]
Are these guys relying solely on stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly, but I usually try to focus on a table at a time and take notes. I take notes on the players if the do something [censored] against me too.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to play solely based on numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how well you play in general and your experience. I mean it's going to be hard to play with just stats if you don’t know what most 60/25/2's play like.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

NP, good luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to only play two tables until I feel more comfortable or confident in my game. No more 4 table craziness.

I'll spend time searching for some juicy seats.

I'll continue to develop my postflop play.

Look out for some naive and idiotic posts from me in the upcoming weeks. Unless you hang out at Small Stakes too.