Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2003, 02:04 AM

Default Another Quick Poker Odyssey Update

Hi everyone,

I've made some difficult decisions in the last week, but now that they've been made, things seem (somewhat) easier.

The job that I applied for a few weeks ago has been looking less and less promising. The company has a "no calls" policy, but does allow email. I've contacted them twice so far, and both times I've met with the, "Your resume is in our database and is being considered" form-letter response. Not a good sign for a position that has been advertised for over a month.

To make things worse for that job they will need to do a background investigation on me (or rather a re-investigation since I formerly worked for them). These usually take 2 months+ which means even if I got an offer tomorrow it would be putting me dangerously close to when I need to start paying on my student loans.

In other words, I've pretty much given up on this job (go figure they'll probably call me tomorrow and my head will explode).

My parents have been sending me employment ads from back home; trying to talk me into moving back into their house. Originally, I had no desire to do this, but recently there has been a wave of pretty decent looking jobs and it has made me reconsider (and start applying).

Now, I guess most of you have been through this already, but for those who haven't let me say that this is not an easy decision. I'm 25, I've been on my own for six years, and I have no desire to be back under my parent's roof. I don't think they're going to jump back into "parent mode" (gawd, I hope not), but there's just something about living with them that seems foreign anymore. Besides the repercussions this will have on other areas of my life (like dating..."You live with your parents??"), I'm VERY independent and moving home at this point (in some ways) seems like giving up.

I also have concerns that poker might cause a problem. I actually started talking to my mom about it a few weeks ago (before moving home was even being considered)...her first reaction was pretty much what I expected, but she has tried to understand the game (and why the game can be beaten). Basically, she's implied that she's ok with it as long as I'm playing with my winnings ("other people's money") and I plan to be doing that very soon. I could do it right now, but it would mean dropping down a level to be "safe" I'd prefer to top myself out at this level and then cashout my initial deposit...I would still have enough to continue playing the same limit I am now (1/2) without any fear of busting out.

Unfortunately, she says my Dad would freak out if he knew I was "gambling" (I disagree, but she DOES know him better than I do). This creates a problem because I don't want to be sneaking around behind my dad's back playing at home, have him find out after the fact, and then have the problem of my apparent "gambling" while they are helping me out with a place to live and saving me money.

I'm not sure what to do about it. In the long run I think its best if I just come out and explain things to him (I personally think he'd be cooler about it than my mom has been...I might even get him interested in playing). If he does end up freaking out about it then I'll just cashout and wait until I move back out...poker will always be there (but I'd sure like to keep playing).

Anyways, I've been talking to some friends, and they've made me see that the possibility of a cheap living situation is "+EV" because I can live cheaply and (hopefully) get a job in my field since my parents live in a bigger area than I do currently (the job I applied for locally was not in my field). Even if I only do this for a year, I'm probably saving upwards of 5-7k on living expenses and that will make a big dent in my student loans...well, actually 5-7k would only make a small dent in my student loans, but it's money I would have been paying to someone else...you get the picture.

So, for better or worse, that's where I'm headed. My plan is to quit my job as a waiter on Aug 1st and then move home sometime in mid to late August. Taking some time off will give me time to pack and hang out with my friends here. Once I get to my parents house I'll have to start pounding the pavement to find something, but as I said before they live in a bigger area so I'm pretty confident I can pick something up fast.

Hopefully if all goes well (and I can work things out poker-wise) the Odyssey should be starting back up sometime in September.

Hope everyone is having a good summer.

Peace,
jHE
Old 07-12-2003, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Another Quick Poker Odyssey Update

Great post. Good luck in job hunting...
Old 07-12-2003, 09:47 AM

The cost of renting is so high right now (you should see the prices near Boston, ugh). I know many people who have had to move in with family members to make their payments. It's not ideal, but there is no shame in it at all. My wife and I were fortunate to have friends who will rent an apartment to us for a discount, which has been a life saver, especially since I have been laid off not once but twice this year.

As for your Dad, I think you are right, just tell him. Or better yet, have your Mom do it for you! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2003, 11:43 AM

Hey Jason,
I just wanted to say its kind of refreshing reading
posts like this. Very honest and open.

Anyways, just because you are actually giving
up poker for a while, doesn't mean you cant
study the game.

I highly suggest you read thru the Older Archives section
here on 2+2. They are very educational. You'll see
a lot of great posts by S&M, Louis Landle, Jim
Brier amongst other great players.

Here is a little background on myself you might find
encouraging:

Around 1995 I started playing poker consistently
at the lower limits. $1-$3 spread limit HE to be
exact. Did this for about 3 months. Then I started
driving down the road for some big $2-$4 action
with the occasional $3-$6 game.

After about 2-3 years of this, it occured to me that
playing poker was just wasting my time. After all
my logs showed I was making like $2 something an hr.
(Wish I knew then how hard it is to beat the lower
limit California games due to the rake/tipping).
This came just a few weeks after I ordered HEFAP.

About 6 months later, being the gambler I am,
I decided to read HEFAP although at this point
I wasn't playing any poker. Just reading and thinking.
It felt like a whole new way of thinking had just
opened up to me.

Then on my birthday, 9/11 the movie
Rounders was released. I went to see it and BANG,
my poker career was reborn (Very corny. If anyone
brings this up again, I'll deny it).

So started a job as a prop about 2 months later.
By Christmas I bought a new TV and a bed from Costco,
from my poker winnings (not wages).

............Fast forward to 2003.
Ive currently made on avg. 10K+ a month since late 2002.

That last sentence is probably where you'll find your
inspiration.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2003, 04:46 PM

Thanks creampuff (all),

I definately am looking forward to working my way up to the middle limits. I've been inspired by all the success stories I've read here and other places. I also know that for every success story there are lots more out there that go broke, which is why I'm doing my best to study hard and work my way up slowly.

I don't have any aspirations of becoming a pro but could definately see myself earning a second income from poker (and if that second income happens to be larger than my first income I wouldn't complain). I know getting to that level will take a lot of time and a lot of hard work, but I'm confident if I put in the time the successes will follow.

If I have to quit poker when I move home, then so be it. It will only be a small road block and I agree there are a lot of things I can do in the meantime to improve my game. Hopefully, it won't come to that, but if it does I'll just make the best of it.

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 07-12-2003, 07:05 PM

Anyways, just because you are actually giving up poker for a while, doesn't mean you cant
study the game.

what an awesome piece of advice
(seriously)

Old 07-13-2003, 12:32 AM

Jason-

As someone who was there not too long ago, you are right about the +EV of moving back in with the parents for a while. I assume they aren't charging you anything, but even if they are I am sure it would be nominal. Think of the 5-7k you save as a way to help build a bankroll, even if only a small part goes to bankroll. It will help you get ahead either way (in life and poker).

I wouldn't hide the poker from your Dad - if he is cool about it great, and if not then you can live with that. Have they ever seen the WPT? You might want to have them watch an episode or two and explain what is going on to them. They might be impressed by that.

Just a little bit of the wisdom I have gained from experience, take it if you want: Poker is easy to move away from for a while and come back to. I have done this a few times over the last few years, each time my interest was renewed I became a much better player. Its almost as if you can see the trees AND the forest when you come back "rested" from poker.

Anyway one more bit of my experience/wisdom (if I'm not over my limit yet): I'm kind of glad I found poker once I was in reasonable shape financially. In your situation it is hard to commit the bankroll you want, and the money obviously is more crucial to you. As creampuff alluded to, poker really starts to make a financial difference once you move up in limits (and are taking the game seriously, which you are). By the time your job and living situation is worked out you will be able to start committing a bankroll AND have the skills/tools in place. I'm actually kind of jealous of where you are going to be a few years from now. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You just have to pay your dues (in life and in poker) in the meantime.

Another thought : I can't imagine your Dad objecting to you using a copy of Turbo Texas HE, you might want to pick that up if you haven't already. Heck, you might even be able to use it to show your parents what winning poker is about.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2003, 01:15 AM

Jason, I agree with Byrn, this can be a good thing. MANY years ago I moved home but under somewhat different circumstances (my parents asked me to move out of my apartment and housesit their home). As luck or whatever would have it I went through a job transition during this time was out of work for a couple of weeks and then my mom came home from their trip early due to an illness. As it happened it was good I was there because she really needed someone. I still used the opportunity of no rent to save up enough money for a house down payment.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:40 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm actually kind of jealous of where you are going to be a few years from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm jealous of the "kids" that are starting to play now when they're only 18-19. I think to play poker well it takes a certain maturity that only comes with age (I'm still working on it), but college could have been soooo much nicer if I had only known.

Seriously though, I understand what you're saying (and thank you for your advice). TTHE would definately be my back-up plan if real money poker is not an option (I do own a copy already)...not quite as good as the real thing, but still an excellent sparing partner to improve my skills.

I think I'll be able to convince my dad as long as I choose the right opportunity to bring it up...like poker I'll probably have to fold several hands before I get one that will be playable...and even then it might take seeing the flop and folding a few times. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] (It's late and I'm thinking in poker metaphor...lol). If poker has taught me one thing about life it's that patience truly is a virtue.

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 07-13-2003, 02:06 AM

hey jason, i have read your posts for the last month, and am basically in your shoes. I'm 23 i have 2 college degrees (accounting, information systems security), but after college last year i decided to move back into my parents house, i've been staying here for the past year, it does suck after living away for 6 years but i do not have to pay for rent or food. I've been able to pay off all my college loans, and make enough playing 30hrs a week to live like a rockstar, (at least what my friends say), i play 1-2 up to 15-30 holdem depending on games and sites, and i scratch out 600 a week(that's the goal set,which i hit every week), so far it has been easy for the last year, i wish u the best as im looking for a job in the same fields in connecticut and the choices are slim. but the opportunity to improve your game is definitly a chance i would take and try to make a living off for the time being. good luck kiddo