Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 03:51 PM

Default SSH strategies in NL

I play in a weekly small staks NL game. The players range from loose weak and passive to loose and aggressive. One or two have some idea what they're doing, but for the most part its no fold'em hold'em. I've made some money playing tight smart poker, but I'd like to work on changing my game to maximize profits from games like these. SSH was great for helping me play in games of this nature in limit. I'm wondering what changes I need to make for NL. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: SSH strategies in NL

Keep a few things in mind: you want them to call when you put in a pot size bet and they hit their flush. You want them to make all these bad calls. It sucks then but those are the people you make money from.

Look for spots where you can play more hands. Play suited hands in position. Get a feel for who you can control and hwo you need to do it. If you need to raise higher to clear out some callers, make the raise whatever you feel is necessary. Value bet and watch your bluffs as they'll call down.

You don't need to (or want to) get too fancy with check-raises, bluffs, etc. Just play for good hands and make them pay to show down their trash. Keep reading this forum as well as the stickies and general discussions will help a lot.

edit: home games are also a great place to practice reading people. Read through Caro and really pay attention to what's going on around you. There are players that, as Doyle said, I'll play against with any two. Others I want a hand before I put in those chips as they're going to the river with me...