Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 12:19 PM

Default $25NL TPTK - too aggressive?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (Villain)/ ($35.15)
BB ($17.80)
UTG ($49.85)
UTG+1 ($24.75)
Hero ($25.05)
MP2 ($28.15)
MP3 ($23.90)
CO ($53.50)
Button ($16.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (Villain)/ calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($3.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??? </font>

hand from earlier today - Villain is 26.3/3.6/2.36
Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: $25NL TPTK - too aggressive?

Bet the pot, re-raise his raise. He is OOP and you have a strong hand with this flop. No obvious flush/str8 draws to worry about. He doesn't have KK, and a small set is very unlikely. Fire away!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:25 PM

I would raise to like 6-8xbb utg, or go for limpraise here. I find that 4xbb just invites callers at a full table like this. As for too aggro, you havent even bet yet. Pot it or overbet slightly, and take it from there.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:30 PM

Default turn...

Flop: ($3.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP3 folds, Villain calls $3.

Turn: ($9.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 12-06-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: turn...

[ QUOTE ]
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP3 folds, Villain calls $3.

Turn: ($9.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
bet $6

or

check behind to induce a river bet that you must call

depends on how passive/aggressive the other player is and whether you think it's more likely that they'll call your turn bet with a worse hand or bluff the river if you check the turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise to like 6-8xbb utg, or go for limpraise here. I find that 4xbb just invites callers at a full table like this. As for too aggro, you havent even bet yet. Pot it or overbet slightly, and take it from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

more aggrro happens later - I want to see how closely the line I played corresponds with the general consensus. Or something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I tend to be a little scared of raising AK more than 4bb as what usually happens is flop comes 974r I throw out a 1/2 pot CB and am reraised and fold the hand... I'm much happier raising 77-AA for more than 4BB rather than big slick.

I raise 4xBB almost every hand I raise and rarely throw in 3 or 6BB as a way of mixing it up - would it be better changing this to 6xBB as at 25NL 4BB is "only a dollar" and does seem to get more callers than I get at 50NL using a similar strategy.. ?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

more aggrro happens later - I want to see how closely the line I played corresponds with the general consensus. Or something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I tend to be a little scared of raising AK more than 4bb as what usually happens is flop comes 974r I throw out a 1/2 pot CB and am reraised and fold the hand... I'm much happier raising 77-AA for more than 4BB rather than big slick.

I raise 4xBB almost every hand I raise and rarely throw in 3 or 6BB as a way of mixing it up - would it be better changing this to 6xBB as at 25NL 4BB is "only a dollar" and does seem to get more callers than I get at 50NL using a similar strategy.. ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I really do think the psycological effects of 4xbb being only a dollar cause more callers at 25nl. I want to play shorthanded with ako, esp OOP, so sometimes Ill even jack it up to 8xbb. If I miss, oh well, but Id rather get it heads up and make a nice continuation bet when I miss than have four to the flop of A97 and have to deal with coming up with a line.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 4xBB is fine, whatever you raise there's not much point in mixing it up when you're the first or second in the pot, you have more deception by opening with the same amount every time.

4xBB is better than 6xBB because the most of the time you're not raising with a big pair (which you're more comfortable raising 6xBB). When you raising with big cards or smaller pairs often the flop misses you, so you can get away from the hand easier with a smaller pot. I usually play $50 over $25 so I'm not sure, but I think you're fine preflop.

Postflop, raise raise raise, you are not being too passive.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Default River ...

Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, Villain calls $8.

River: ($25.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

Now I'm confused ... I really expected Villain to fold on the turn.

I have $13 ish left - is this an easy push or do I check behind ? I'm 75% sure MHIG.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: River ...

push.