Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 12:35 AM

Default difficult decision late in a online tourney

I was playing in a online tourney and after about an hour and a half i had about 14 big+little blinds in my stack and i was dealt 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] next to the button. With 3 limpers in front of me i decided to call so did the button and the small blind.
The Flop comes j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

a half sized pot raise was made and called before it got me and i decided to push hard and try to win the pot right away with a raise the size of the new pot (4 times the original raise) aliitle more than half my stack. I was called by the button (who has a medium stack and has me covered)and everyone else folded.
The turn was the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I was recently transferred to the table and had no info on the button.
Please reply with any comments on the hand and what would you do after the third flush card drops. I will post the results of the hand after several replies
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: difficult decision late in a online tourney

I'd push my whole stack the flop and not have to make another decision.

If you are behind a set or a higher two pair, so be it. A good enough percent of the time you'll be up against AJ, KJ, or a flush/striaght draw with flat callers.

Make them pay for the draws and if you are behind, so be it, it happens.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 AM

the only reason i dont push is because i was hoping the original raiser had kj or aj and re raised so i get all my money in or called so i would have position on him after the turn.I didnt intend on a cold call from the aonly player who would act after me on the turn.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 AM

Need to push on that flop. That said, you've got to go broke here.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:17 AM

I think this is a check/fold. The only draw you are ahead of here that might call that flop action is the OESD (although most OESD would have pushed or folded to that flop bet.)

TPTK or a set would have reraised allin on the flop. I think you see the flush here most of the time, unless some superdonk decided to flat call your flop bet with top pair for half his stack, but you said this is late in the tourney so Im giving your opponent some credit.

Then again there might be too much money in the pot at this point to fold.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:25 AM

You're putting all your chips in on the flop. Put em in on the turn if you didnt put em in on the flop.

No getting away from this hand with an M of 14 late in a tournament. In low level play you're going to see someone with KJ here. I don't see anyone limping with J8 or J6.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:28 AM

i push after the turn and calls and shows k4 of diamonds and wins the pot and busts me out. my thoughts on the hand are that both of us played the hand badly. i just cant understand calling my re-raise after the flop only getting 2-1 instead of the needed 4-1 even with implied odds hes getting only a little under 3-1 and is only slightly favorable odds figuring that i push no matter what. if he had not made the flush he would have been extremely short stacked which makes his play extremely incorrect in my eyes but my play was bad also which probably cost me the hand.

Another question i have is what if i had a very large stack but the button had enough to bust me ,what do you think is appropriate play for this situation.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:49 AM

Yeah, I dont really like his play...i want about 3-1 odds to call a flush draw in most cases...but definitely not w/ 2-1 not even w/ the nut draw...i dont think your raise was bad...but how can you get away from it after his flop call?...i dont really think you can...so it doesnt seem that horrible to me.