Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Pokerprophecy World Series promotion

Let me first say that I HATE POKERPROPHECY AND THINK IT IS GARBAGE.

That being said, I was just made aware of the fact that they are having a promotion that would benefit some of us 2+2ers. Those in the top 50 ITMs on the internet with at least 500 games played (or more accurately, 500 games that they randomly datamined) under a username will be eligible for a tournament with the first prize being airfare and a seat in the '06 World Series.

The only catch of course is that you have to buy their product to be eligible for the tournament. (My plan is to wait until the 30th, see if I'm still ranked, then pay the $40 simply for the cheap shot at a seat in the WS.) They will take the top 50 (and down further the list to fill 50 spots if some in the top 50 do not join) as of December 31st, 2005 to fill the tournament.

I hate to come off as shilling for this junk product, but I'm sure that there are many screennames of 2+2ers in the top 50 that I do not recognize, otherwise I would simply PM the affected individuals to let them know of this opportunity.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Pokerprophecy World Series promotion

This doesn't seem like a good deal unless you were positive you would be in the top 50. You basically paying $40 to have a chance to play in a tourney with an EV of $200. It seems to me there are better ways to make $160 then supporting this trashy product.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:24 AM

if u know u are in top 50 (ie buy on the 31st of December), then it's very +ev

after all, it's 200 for a 40 investment, so 400% roi

if i played 500 and was top 50 on the 31st, i'd buy it in a heartbeat

putting ur hatred for the product aside, if party said that u could buy-in for $40 to a 50-person max (remember, not all 50 will even own the product or know about the tourney or make the tourney; prolly 20-30 max enter this tourney) for a wsop+airfare, etc then you'd jump at the opportunity

with airfare, hotel(?), etc the prize is closer to 1200ish, so that's more than 200 each...plus, again, all 50 will not be entering

edit: just saw that they'll keep going down the list to get the 50...so there will be 50 participants...now where it gets tricky is if u are ranked 51-100...u have legit shot at making the tourney if u buy the product, but not guaranteed...so u have to decide if your odds are >20%
that there won't be 50 above u entering
Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 AM

I assume if you have a top 50 ITM% $200 is not very much compared to your hourly rate. To go through the effort of signing up for the site and playing the tourney doesn't seem worth it if it means supporting an unethical company. If you don't have any feelings about pokerprophecy I guess it makes sense.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To go through the effort of signing up for the site and playing the tourney doesn't seem worth it if it means supporting an unethical company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play poker.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To go through the effort of signing up for the site and playing the tourney doesn't seem worth it if it means supporting an unethical company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume if you have a top 50 ITM% $200 is not very much compared to your hourly rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

several problems with this...

a) you can have a high itm, but be getting many 3rds, for a -roi (or slightly positive roi)

b) pokerprophecy doesn't capture all the games...variance in their sampling alone could mean that your 30% itm this month shows up at 50% itm in the games they happened to capture...so u may be running cold in poker and losing money, but still be a top 50 on their site

c) if u play 10s, then the money u make from this is still high compared to your hourly rate...if your rate in this tourney is $200 for 2-3 hours of play, can you play 100 10s getting $2/tourney in 2-3 hours? No

as for not mattering, that's like saying rb doesn't matter if u win 2k/month playing positive poker...u should still take the rb $$ because that's more money...why turn down free money?

if u get a $40 buyin to a 50person wsop tourney, then unless u are multitabling lots of high buyin sngs, it's worth your time to get that...again, if party poker offered it to u today, would u take it?

if your problem is with the company, then make that your argument and it's a valid one; after all, i wouldn't kill someone even for a 10000% roi...but ev-wise, if u know u will be in the top 50, then it's +ev to pay the $40 for the freeroll...and u shouldn't pass up +ev opps unless u can have a more +ev opp during the same time
Old 12-02-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he's saying that the poker sites are 'unethical companies' so if u have a prob with 'unethical companies' then u shouldn't play poker online
Old 12-02-2005, 11:34 AM

What about the problem with PartyP "freezing" your account(s) when they find out you're using PP?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about the problem with PartyP "freezing" your account(s) when they find out you're using PP?

[/ QUOTE ]

u wouldn't use pp...u'd pay the $40 and never install it...