Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Please tell me how badly I played this hand (AKo)

No read on villain as he had just sat down.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($7.15)
Button ($9.85)
Hero ($24)
BB ($4.05)
UTG ($28.95)
MP :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($24.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.75.

I called this because it was a good drawing hand and had the possibility to pick up a nice sized pot against multiple people due to its equity.

Flop: ($3.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, UTG folds, Villain calls $3.

The $1.50 bet seemed like a CB so I decided to reraise my top pair in order to see where I stood in the hand. His call suggested I was.

Turn: ($12.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $19.25</font>, Hero calls $8.50 (All-In).

I bet the pot in order to get maximum value on my hand because I assumed he wasn't insane enough to call the turn bet with a diamond draw. His all-in was bad but I had to call.

River: ($50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah Ks (one pair, kings).
Villain has Qh Qs (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Villain wins $50. </font>
Old 11-29-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Please tell me how badly I played this hand (AKo)

tough one, flop is fine. Sometimes I check turn, but other times I'd probably fire close the same amount you did. C/R all in here is usually KQ. Shouldn't post results though since it usually taints responses. There isn't much you're ahead of at that point, but you're getting pretty good odds and it's 25NL so sometimes you see some funky stuff.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 PM

looks fine, although i might have reraised preflop.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:09 PM

oh damn, didn't realize you checkraised the flop. Lead full pot or 2/3 instead. As you played this you telegraphed that you had a good hand, fold to turn raise.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 PM

Looks pretty horrifically terrible. I could tell this was going downhill when you referred to AK as a drawing hand that might win a big pot against multiple people. But I guess after you hit your draw on the flop you have to go all in...
Old 11-29-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No read on villain as he had just sat down.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($7.15)
Button ($9.85)
Hero ($24)
BB ($4.05)
UTG ($28.95)
MP :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($24.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.75.

I called this because it was a good drawing hand and had the possibility to pick up a nice sized pot against multiple people due to its equity.

Flop: ($3.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, UTG folds, Villain calls $3.

The $1.50 bet seemed like a CB so I decided to reraise my top pair in order to see where I stood in the hand. His call suggested I was.

Turn: ($12.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $19.25</font>, Hero calls $8.50 (All-In).

I bet the pot in order to get maximum value on my hand because I assumed he wasn't insane enough to call the turn bet with a diamond draw. His all-in was bad but I had to call.

River: ($50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah Ks (one pair, kings).
Villain has Qh Qs (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Villain wins $50. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

While it may seem tempting to check-raise the flop with your TPTK, deny this impulse. Save your checkraises for when you actually have a strong hand OOP. Simply lead the flop for 3/4 to full pot bet and see what happens.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks pretty horrifically terrible. I could tell this was going downhill when you referred to AK as a drawing hand that might win a big pot against multiple people. But I guess after you hit your draw on the flop you have to go all in...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol didn't pay much attention to that either before I posted.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:01 PM

Would it be OK to reraise the flop and see where you are?

I might be tempted to do so, if I thought it would help define opponents hand.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:04 PM

haha I agree
however in the first position I like to think of it that way since more often than not I have to fold if it doesn't connect

in the later positions I play this different but I'll change that way of htinking thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be OK to reraise the flop and see where you are?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not when all it leaves you is less than a PSB.

I call the flop, raising just makes the pot too big and impossible to get away from (as you just painfully learned for your stack). I check/call the turn, and check/call a reasonable river if he bet the turn. I'll block the river if he checks behind.