Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Stud8 river raise?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (1.60 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (3.60 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

River - (3.60 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (7.60 BB)

Spewing?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Stud8 river raise?

i dont much like the raise, but given that he didnt reraise, i can only hope it turned out well for you.
A low- you chop. Aces up, flush, and straight you lose to. Only things you beat are worse two pair and a bluff.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:28 PM

Default bump (n/m)

anymore?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: bump (n/m)

I don't really like it. but in your defense, the guy is the bring in, so that randomizes his hand a bit more and makes it more likely he has a crappier two pair or just a pair of aces, and it makes him less likely to have a low than someone that entered out of their own free will. However, I just don't think there are many hands he can call with here that don't beat you or at least get him half (aside from a crappier two pair or aces). so I don't see all that much value in a raise.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:39 PM

everyone has folded? I'd raise on third. What do you think he has on the river that you beat? Is he betting a pair here? If he's betting a low you're just chopping, I don't think there's much value in raising the river.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise on third

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really worth stealing?

How many agree with this? I'd raise in a bigger ante game. But...in a small ante game...meh. Not that raising is bad, I just prefer a different route.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:05 PM

I would def complete here and try to take down the antes. Sure the ante is small but I still think that it is worth it. I don't see much value in raising the river. It appears that he hit a low in which case you are just chopping. I don't see what he would bet here that you beat. What are you going to do if he reraises? This is not a hand I want to put 3BBs in to see the showdown with.

Scags
Old 11-29-2005, 07:05 PM

sorry, i strongly agree with goofball. why would you want to give the bi a free card? your hand is not that strong that you wouldn't mind the antes, yet it's a fine starting hand if you are called. What if he had split 3's with a jack kicker, a hand unlikely to call a raise.. now you brick while he catches good and bets. The pot is so small you can't call even if you suspect larceny. Similarly, with a garbage hand, he might bet a brick whether it pairs him or not.

I think playing it strong, especially when opening from late pos. makes the play of the hand easier. I think the exception is when the bi is particular weak and gets easily trapped once in a pot.

However, I understand your style might be different from mine, and last night I completed with 63A suited in a similar situation, trying to represent a steal, and got no action. Maybe I should have limped with such a strong hand, but my philosophy is it usually takes a hand worth calling a raise for you to make any real money anyway. Btw what would you consider a high ante game? Would the $.50 party 3/6 as opposed to the $.25 stars 3/6 qualify? Does shorthanded influence this?

As for the river raise - what hand bricks and then calls in an unraised pot on 4th st. - a big pair, a low with an ace, a premium low, or if your opponent is weak a small pair or any three babies. Since he could be beat you with aces up or he rivered trips or better, I'd play it conservatively here, though I would have bet were I in first postion. It is possible he's betting aces or two smaller pair, as your check on 6th might have signalled to him that you had paired - he also may have been trying a check raise on 6th with a strong low or wheel. So there are hands you can beat, but if you're beaten you're likely be raised, risking two more bets than if you had just called. Since it's a small pot, why not keep it that way.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 PM

Raise third, call river.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 PM

I would always complete 3rd here.

Jeff