Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Omaha 8 Potlimit vs. Limit

being relatively new to competitive Omaha 8, I'd like to know if the same benefit exists for playing no-limit vs. limit as their is in Holdem. Namely, less variance for good players, being able to price draws out of pots, and generally making it more expensive for loose players to chase and/or play weaker hands.

As a top Omaha 8 pro who plays primarily limit omaha8 said "no decent starting omaha 8 hand is that much better than any other 4 cards" he went on to say "the nature of your holdings changes so drastically from street to street" and finally "you always have to be aware of getting quartered for the low" Therefore unless you have a monster for both, it usually doesn't pay to raise a lot.

All that being said, is there anything definitive on the subject of NL/PL vs. limit - which has less variance and which is better for solid players to play.

Also, when playing vs. a total maniac in PL who's always raising the pot how do you approach that?

Also, what are the best resources other than this forum for learning Omaha 8.

Thanks,
Lou
Old 11-30-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Omaha 8 Potlimit vs. Limit

when playing Omaha 8, I prefer to play limit. I am only comfortable playing potlimit if I know the other players aren't maniacs and are actually respectable players. As far as wanting to learn how to play Omaha 8, when you say you want to learn it: Which parts? Do you want to learn starting hands, or strategy or what?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Omaha 8 Potlimit vs. Limit

loubal,

Stop by the Omaha/8 section and take a look around. We have some VERY strong limit and pot limit players to learn from.

Up until recently, I concentrated exclusively on limit. Been playing live for about 4 years and playing on line this year. It's a very profitable game. Much less variance than HE (and it's not even close).

I've found that pot limit is easier to play...only because you can bully some of the weeker players out of pots (which doesn't work as well in limit where people will stick around for one more bet and out draw you).

BUT...you need to be more carefull with pot limit. I rarely raise preflop because most of the time, if I've got a good enough hand to be playing...I want more people in the pot until I've clearly defined my hands potential. Don't worry, there will still be bad players that call your raises.

Absolutely pick up pokertracker for Omaha. It's very helpful at the higher limits.

Hope that is helpful.

Ironman Dave

I forgot to mention...I would start with limit and move to PL later after you get your feet wet. No reason to blow through a couple buy ins while you are learning.