Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 11:29 PM

Default AK Multiway, Out of Position

Hi everyone. I'm a short-handed limit guy who's been playing some NL ring recently. I'm beginning to see why everyone loves that game as I think it's great. Here's one I just played that I'm not sure about.

PokerStars Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00)
Seat 1: Moozh ($232.65 in chips)
Seat 2: BB ($108.75 in chips)
Seat 3: UTG ($21.45 in chips)
Seat 5: CO ($58.85 in chips)
Seat 6: Button ($190.45 in chips)

Dealt to Moozh in SB: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop:
<font color="red">UTG raises to $3</font>, CO calls $3, Button calls $3, Moozh calls $2.50, BB calls $2.

FLOP: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
<font color="red">Moozh bets $10</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, CO folds, <font color="red">Button raises to $35...</font>

How did I do and what's my plan now?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: AK Multiway, Out of Position

Your line looks ok. If preflopraiser has a high preflopraise% I probably reraise.

I guess I fold this flop even if some will find that a little weak. You can also call and 1/2potbet a blank turn and release if raised. But I actually prefer a fold.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 PM

I almost always re-raise here.

It makes playing the rest of this hand much simpler and gets you more value for your hand. Additionally, continution bets are far more effective heads-up.

Represent a strong hand, you have one.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It makes playing the rest of this hand much simpler and gets you more value for your hand. Additionally, continution bets are far more effective heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]
As played preflop, do you think a fold is ok on the flop in heros shoes?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As played preflop, do you think a fold is ok on the flop in heros shoes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, I think you'll see a 2pair KJ or a set fairly often. Otherwise you deal with a bloated pot OOP.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:08 AM

Ok, I'm glad to hear there are two options and they both could be right.

I raised $35 more, which I think might be a bit weak. He thought for a short while and pushed. I folded after a second pause to pretend like I might consider it.

I'm fine with my fold to his push. I think his hand range is extremely narrow at that point. I just wasn't sure if there was a better way to play this out of position. God, position makes such a difference.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:14 AM

After re-reading the thread just now, I realize you meant pre-flop when you said re-raise. In retrospect, it seems like the obvious play. I've been playing with the notion of trying to keep pots small when I play out of position. Thus, I'm rarely raising anything but strong hands or speculative (semi-steal) hands from the blinds.

In this case though, I'm guessing that the relative strength of my hand vs the large field neccessitated a reraise. After running into what happened post flop, it's a lesson learned.

So, if I were to re-raise, I'd probably bump it up to $12-15 or so total (sound good?). It would result in a big pot with me to act first, but I guess we're ok with that...
Old 11-27-2005, 04:53 AM

So, if I were to re-raise, I'd probably bump it up to $12-15 or so total (sound good?). It would result in a big pot with me to act first, but I guess we're ok with that...

That sounds perfect. AKo doesn't play well against a large field unless you make a straight. TPTK hands don't =[

You'll narrow the field and play a hand you've defined well OOP in a larger pot.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, a re-raise preflop will really help you define your hand. I would probably raise it to $8 with all those coldcallers in there. Then when the flop comes CB to see where youre at.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm glad to hear there are two options and they both could be right.

I raised $35 more, which I think might be a bit weak. He thought for a short while and pushed. I folded after a second pause to pretend like I might consider it.

I'm fine with my fold to his push. I think his hand range is extremely narrow at that point. I just wasn't sure if there was a better way to play this out of position. God, position makes such a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
Postflop I think reraising $35 more is the worst way to play the hand. Because if he has any kind (draw, set, AK etc.) of hand he will at least call you and you have no idea what to do on the turn.

As I said in my first reply:
IF you should continue to play the hand (prefer a fold directly) without committing yourself the only way is to just call and then bet out the turn something like 35-45 on a blank turn and fold to a raise. That for the same price as you played the hand but with much more information earned.