Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Poker Tax Structures

This one goes out to US citizens.

What is the best tax structure to set up with regards to being a full-time pro poker player? I've heard lots of rumors: set up a business, move oversses, etc.

Anyone with some good experience here would be helpful. Concrete information. I'm not yet ready to move oversees, but would like to hear about it.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Poker Tax Structures

As far as moving overseas to avoid taxes, you are supposed to get like the first $80K exempt from taxes. However, Kane just posted a quote from a CPA stating that gambling would not qualify you for that exemption. There could be creative ways around that, but you'd want to speak with a CPA. Probably several.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:04 PM

I plan to speak to several, but unless they have specific knowledge of it the whole process will go slow and not neccessarily be productive.

If I have a clue what I'm looking for it will be helpful to the process and perhaps help me select the best CPA to work with and give them hints where to look.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 PM

I can't vouch for these people, I've never even contacted them since I'm a LONG way from needing their services, but someone else posted it here, and at least they seem to target exactly the right audience:

http://www.rbstaxes.com/
Old 11-26-2005, 10:57 PM

You don't need to set up a business or corporation, just file as a self employed person. (Schedule C) And, really this topic is discussed about twice a week in Internet, so search that forum. But, you can move abroad and have the first 80k, exempt. And anything short of becoming a citizen of another country, it's very hard to avoid taxes (legally). Before going pro, I did a lot of research on this type of stuff, so just spend some time and research it - Google is your friend.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:58 PM

Thanks that is a big help.