Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Thanks to all you guys and advise for new players

Its almost exactly 2 years since I got involved in poker and I wanted to thank all the helpful players who assisted my game and brought sanity for the crazy sessions I had. Many things I could not determine on my own because I needed a large field of samples. Everyone here provided them to me.

Details on variance effects and how a small amount of variance can impact the results of a session.

Selection of tables is critical to getting high positive results.

Knowing that you are as good as your opponents are bad. You might be the 10th best player in the world but if you sit at a table with numbers 1-9 you're losing money.

Dealing with specific types of players such as LAGs, LAPs, TAGs.

Adjusting you're game.

Being intraspective to be able to read other players and find peace with oneself in order to play better and more controled.

Suggestions on books to read. I have read about 30 books some over 7 times over.

Thanks to your help I made 3x the amount of money this year from last year.

For new players be patient

1. post hands
2. ask dumb questions (if they give you dumb answers post on my site and I will answer them)
e. know that a 2 BB/100 variance difference is only 2 hands won/lost at showdown per 1000 hands played.
3. Only at 100,000+ hands will you know where your leaks really are
4. Read, read, oh and reread.
5. Be at peace with oneself to avoid tilt. Be it Zen, Tao, or Barry's book find one that puts that lightbulb in your head. It was Barry's for me.
6. Star low in limits and build up till you have at least 25,000+ hands successfully at the current limit. Know that what you lose at higher limits are lessons that will make you a better player at your previous limits.
7. Use the right bankroll for the right limit.
8. And don't ever lose your cool.

So thanks to those that helped. I'm a better player now but in 1 more year I will probably say I sucked at the end of 2005 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]