Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2003, 02:17 PM

Default End of a losing streak?

Since the beginning of the year I have cut back on my poker playing, mainly because my son and heir has decided to enter into my business with me. I'm now busy keeping him busy, ergo less poker time. Oh, and did I mention the remodelling that the "Money Boss" wants done around the house.

Anyway, last week my wife, the money boss, goes to visit her parents, and will be gone over 4th July, an excellent opportunity for me to catch up on my poker play. That very evening I play and lose, I play the next eveing and lose, I play the next eveing and lose, see a pattern here? I'm start to blame my wife for all of this because if she was at home I wouldn't be playing cards each evening, and losing and besides I have to blame someone after all it couldn't be that I'm playing bad.

So the 4th of July arrives and I decide to heck with poker I'm gonna relax. My son gets up around noon and casually asks if I'm going to pay cards tonight, I tell him no. He informs me that he's invited his friends over for a barbecue in the evening and says he will take me to lunch if I disappear in the late afternoon. I say OK, we have lunch and I go off to play cards that night and experience another losing session.

I have had five losing sessions in a row and none of it is my fault, if my wife hadn't gone out of town and my son hadn't invited his friends to a cook out at our house I wouldn't be losing!

My son gets up around 2.00pm on Saturday and inquires how I last night. I inform him that I lost AGAIN, and he says don't worry dad. He takes $40 from his wallet and says here play this for me. I smile and say I'll tell you what, I'll put in $40 and with the $80 I'll play 4/8 and IF I win we'll split the profits. He says OK.

Well let me tell you, that eveing, I was the best 4/8 player in Los Angeles and at the end of the evening I cashed out well over $200. Perhaps my losing has ended or perhaps it never started, luck comes in many different flavours

Jim