Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 12:46 PM

Default hrm...?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 ($25.55)
CO ($9.40)
Button ($29.15)
Hero ($40.55)
BB ($25.40)
UTG ($33.85)
UTG+1 ($15.50)
MP1 ($42.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, 2 folds</font>, CO raises to $0.5</font>, 1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.40, BB calls $0.25, UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25.

Flop: ($2.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($2.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players)</font>
Hero bets $2</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $2, UTG+1 folds, CO folds.

River: ($6.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets $4.5</font>, UTG raises to $10</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-20-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: hrm...?

No real reads, and how does preflop look as well?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:44 PM

ANY comments? Should I have popped on the flop/turn? Call/Raise/Fold?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:35 PM

Why didnt you bet the flop? What is a check doing for you? You are in the dark for the rest of the hand.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 PM

without a read looks alright. Easy river call
Old 11-20-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didnt you bet the flop? What is a check doing for you? You are in the dark for the rest of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does betting gain you? A player might call behind, and you don't know if you're beat or they are drawing. You build a pot OOP. If you bet the flop will you bet the turn as well? Without the flushdraw I bet flop check turn. With it I don't mind letting someone possibly draw free to a flush since your hand might not be good anyway, I get to see the action and lead a blank turn depending on how it goes (you expect a weak ace to bet and a flush draw to check)
Old 11-20-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does betting gain you? A player might call behind, and you don't know if you're beat or they are drawing. You build a pot OOP. If you bet the flop will you bet the turn as well? Without the flushdraw I bet flop check turn. With it I don't mind letting someone possibly draw free to a flush since your hand might not be good anyway, I get to see the action and lead a blank turn depending on how it goes (you expect a weak ace to bet and a flush draw to check)

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of really awful advice in this reply. I hate to be so critical but 100% of this is fundatmentally incorrect.

[ QUOTE ]
What does betting gain you?

[/ QUOTE ]

How bout taking down the pot? People calling with worse hands? Forgive me if I want to put money in the middle when ahead, but that's just me.

[ QUOTE ]
A player might call behind, and you don't know if you're beat or they are drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you play poker from here on out. Don't justify checking because you're afraid they'll call and you don't know what they have. Play poker for [censored]'s sake.

[ QUOTE ]
With it I don't mind letting someone possibly draw free to a flush since your hand might not be good anyway,

[/ QUOTE ]

Never have there been more incorrect words spoken. You should NEVER let someone draw for free. You are honestly going so say that you'd check and let him draw because your quote "hand probably won't be good anyway?" You've already been defeated and are consistanly bleeding away EV w/ this attitude.

As for the hand goes, pot the flop. On the turn I am more inclined to bet than to check, esp at $25max. However, checking will control pot size but it'd be a shame if it goes check-check and he shows AJ.

The river is one of those spots where worse hands will fold and better hands will never fold but call/raise (on the assumption you bet the river for value). Given these scenarios, check-call is also effective. Lets him bluff a missed flush draw, bet a worse Ace and lets you lose the minimum to an underfull.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:05 PM

trevor's reply is pretty much spot on
Old 11-20-2005, 05:07 PM

So you advocate playing large pots multiway on draw heavy boards OOP? I don't. The majority of +EV situations come with position or with big hands, not marginal hands OOP.

You also didn't adress a line for if you pot the flop and are called (there isn't a good one and that's my point). This is not a very +EV situation and thus you lean towards pot control at the cost of some +EV.

EDIT: "As for the hand goes, pot the flop. On the turn I am more inclined to bet than to check, esp at $25max. However, checking will control pot size but it'd be a shame if it goes check-check and he shows AJ."

This is my point. You bet and then check turn. This is bad, you're giving a free card ANYWAY. You charge him to see one card instead of 2 eitherway, except you invest your money when your hand has more of a chance of being outdrawn with potting the flop
Old 11-20-2005, 05:09 PM

wait are you serious that you dont bet this flop mercman??

you dont HAVE to play a large pot multiway, you can check turn, you dont have to bet full pot, etc., but dont you want some value? worse aces will call you down

this can be a very +EV position