Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Optimizing play when in position on high VPIPers

Here's a somewhat common situation where I don't feel I'm sucking the most out of the crappy players on my right.

6-max table, the seating is something like the following:
SB = 32/8/1.3
BB = 38/23/2.7
UTG = 50/10/1
MP = 75/23/.6
CO = 48/6/.8
BT = ckessel 25/15/3

Obviously positions rotate. The thing here is I'm in great position on three incredibly bad players on my right and the 2 tighter players on my left, guys capable of folding preflop even in the blinds.

What range of hands should I be raising when the 2-3 bad players are limping in front of me? I basically played my normal game, but as I'm watching myself play i'm thinking "Christ, when these guys limp there's a HUGE range of mediocre hands (like JTo) that I could easily be ahead with". And the 75/23 guy was thickening the pot with liberal raises on poor hands and I'm wondering if I should be 3-betting liberally as well because not only does his hand suck, but he's typically raising the first crappy player's limp, which adds dead money.

I felt like I gave away a lot of EV folding hands like A8o where I knew I was likely better than what these players would be holding.

What's a good personal VPIP/PFR in this case? How high can I go before marginal hands go -EV? 35/25? 40/25?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Optimizing play when in position on high VPIPers

A8o doesnt seem to play that well multiway, which is likely what you are looking for with lots of limpers and sometimes bloated pots.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A8o doesnt seem to play that well multiway, which is likely what you are looking for with lots of limpers and sometimes bloated pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I looking to play more 10-handed speculative hands such as smaller suited connectors? There are 2 high PFR players though, so many of the hands are at least 2 bets to see the flop. That had me thinking speculative hands went down in implied odds.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:48 PM

If they are raising garbage preflop you can isolate them with holdings you wouldnt normally isolate with
Old 11-21-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I looking to play more 10-handed speculative hands such as smaller suited connectors? There are 2 high PFR players though, so many of the hands are at least 2 bets to see the flop. That had me thinking speculative hands went down in implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

in situations like this im looking to isolate with A8o, but dumping it if i cant get HU with one of the donkeys. if you get an open raise from 75-25 i threebet every time, but if two of the idiots limp im mucking. my range goes pretty wide in this situation actually, i feel like 2p2 is making me laggish... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 01:57 PM

I think it depends here on the preflop situation as you mentioned a few different cases.

If there are 2-3 limpers you should definitely be limping things like suited connectors, probably T9o and any 2 broadways (that you aren't raising). A8o I might limp with as there is a good chance they pay you off with a second best hand (especially when you have the button). I'd even occasionally limp Qxs and Kxs if there were 3 limpers.

If it's raised by MP and a reraise is likely to get it heads up then you should feel free to isolation raise frequently. If you'll often get 3-4 players to the flop when you reraise then you should stick with premium hands and strong multi-way hands.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you'll often get 3-4 players to the flop when you reraise then you should stick with premium hands and strong multi-way hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, if the 75 VPIP guy raised, it was going to be a minimum of 3 players because he was usually raising the loose limper before him and the guy after cold called constantly.

So, loosen up considerably when it's limped to me, stay tight if it's a multi-way raised pot.

I did the latter, but I don't think I limped nearly enough hands when it was limped to me. Part of the problem is the damn guy to my left was a 38/23 which meant a lot of pots were raised after I went in. Still, I suppose it's not a bad thing to limp 87s and have it raised in 5-way pot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].