Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 03:24 AM

Default You have two choices.

You raise in the CO with 55. A typical player reraises you from the SB and the BB folds.

You have two and only two choices:

1. Cap pre flop and bet any flop when checked to. After you bet the flop, you are free to play the hand as you wish.

2. Call pre flop and raise any flop if he bets. After you raise the flop, you are free to play the hand as you wish.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: You have two choices.

If Í´m going to put my money in blind, then I´d rather do it preflop.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:01 AM

i choose 2. honestly ive thought about this in other situations, say with 99.

if i know my opponent only 3bets me with 77+, AJs+, AQ+, KQs, then there is no reason for me to cap. i am probably around 50/50 against his range, i don't want a free card on the flop, and capping just bloats the pot and makes it more correct for him to peel with 6 outers.

in situations where you are 50/50 and it is HU, i just prefer to wait for a good flop when I am 3bet out of the blinds, especially since preflop equity is close to even. i can charge him more when I am ahead (especially if i'm in a situation where I can wait for the turn, ie when i flop a set) and I have position, so I can make sure a bet goes in on streets that I want a bet to go in.

edit: something i forgot to add. it widens your range a LOT compared to just calling. so it makes it harder to read your hand and makes him more likely to see a showdown when you raise etc.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 AM

yeah, actually i'd go with 1 in this situation. by capping preflop instead of raising the flop you still overrepresent your hand, but i think it also lets you lose less when you're behind. with option 2 you'll probably find yourself in many more marginal postflop situations, and probably get outplayed a lot more than you would had you been the PF capper.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in situations where you are 50/50 and it is HU, i just prefer to wait for a good flop when I am 3bet out of the blinds, especially since preflop equity is close to even. i can charge him more when I am ahead (especially if i'm in a situation where I can wait for the turn, ie when i flop a set) and I have position, so I can make sure a bet
goes in on streets that I want a bet to go in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just calling the threebet and waiting for the flop is pretty obviously the best way to play in this situation, but I don't think it's a choice here.

You have to raise EVERY flop with option #2. I didn't post anything yet because I have no idea which of these is the lesser of two evils, I hate both of them.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: something i forgot to add. it widens your range a LOT compared to just calling. so it makes it harder to read your hand and makes him more likely to see a showdown when you raise etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh? I assume you meant capping.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:25 AM

Option 2.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:34 AM

if i have to raise the flop EVERY time, im pretty sure option 1 is better in every situation, and its not very close IMO. i will think about it more and post my thoughts tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i have to raise the flop EVERY time, im pretty sure option 1 is better in every situation, and its not very close IMO. i will think about it more and post my thoughts tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's 5 sb either way. I really like option 2 - it disguises our hand quite well and generates MUCH more FE, especially vs overcards to our 99 that may think they only have 3 outs and be more inclined to fold on scarier boards.

The best part about line #2 is that our opponent doesn't KNOW we're using it. He'll make lots of incorrect folds (and other plays) as a result.

Everyone and his brother bets the flop after capping. We don't really make anything happen with that.

Surf
Old 11-01-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
generates MUCH more FE, especially vs overcards

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: i just confused my self. need to sleep. will post tomorrow.