Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Set On Flop, 3-way all-in pot, did I make the right move?

I had been taking pretty good control of the game, winning most of my pots. Until this hand was dealt. The button is a pretty tight conservative player, involved in very few hands. MP2 is pretty LAG, a little out of his element playing at this level, making a lot of mistakes before this hand. I am pretty sure i played this hand correctly, and that the flop was the spot to do this move. I sensed the button for real strength and was almost sure he had Aces, since he had not really made any strong bets pre-flop even with KK and QQ before. So by checking on the flop and then coming over the top I think was the right move against 2 opponents where i usually would bet right into villain. Let me know.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($90.95)
Button ($214.20)
SB ($166.85)
BB ($200)
UTG ($210.15)
UTG+1 ($88.10)
Hero ($337.55)
MP2 ($198)
MP3 ($171.90)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $10</font>, SB calls $9, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls $8.

Flop: ($34) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $327.55</font>, MP2 calls $168 (All-In), Button calls $164.20 (All-In).

Turn: ($753.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($753.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $753.75

In the end the button showed K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for top set, and MP2 showed J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the flush and the winning hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Set On Flop, 3-way all-in pot, did I make the right move?

I think the converter has messed this one up as it says you were MP1, which would mean you folded. Anyways, I'm going to assume that you were the SB, in which case you should have lead the flop.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:47 PM

against 2 opponents, one pretty LAG and one tight whos showing a lot of aggro pre-flop when i spike a set? a check raise guarantees equity where as leading out may cause a call and more dangerous cards to come..
Old 11-16-2005, 07:50 PM

A c/r doesn not change ur equity, you lead here ESP against a lag so he raises and you stick it in him.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:53 PM

yeah but its not just the LAG im playing against here.. ive also gotta worry about the other guy showing strength who is a solid tight player.

he cant call that check raise all-in and a call without the absolute best hand.. and the LAG called w/ just a flush draw before the tight player got a chance to call.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

he cant call that check raise all-in and a call without the absolute best hand..

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this a good thing? I don't understand why you think it's better that he'll only call with a better hand? You really want him calling with hands that you beat, like Aces. This is better done by you leading the flop.
And about the Lag, he's a lag, there are obviously lots of hands he could have, some of which include draws like he had. If you bet pot on the flop, then he makes a mistake by calling it, that is good. Then when the tight player raises you, and you pop it again, the lag will make yet another mistake if he calls.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 PM

no, the Lag wouldnt be wrong to call the second bet b/c i am pretty sure the other guy is coming over the top if i bet the pot anyways, so what im essentially doing if i do it your way is inviting the LAG to come even more and giving him enough odds once he sees the other guy coming, that adds value to his flush draw w/ two to come.