Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Firing the 3rd barrel

What types of hands and boards should we be firing a third bet on the river as a bluff?

I would imagine it has to be a hand where you are in position, HU, and have a hand that virtually cannot win if you check.

For example, if you open raise and AKo from MP and only the BB calls.
Flop comes 2d7h8d, he checks, you bet, he calls.
Turn is Qc, he checks, you bet, he calls.
I would check almost all rivers UI.

If, on the other hand, you had JdTd, maybe you should bet a blank river when he checks to you?

Can anyone give a clear hand of when it is right to bet the flop, turn, and river with a hand worse than 1 pair?

Obviously I would like to know when this is ok vs an unknown, but what type of player would make you even more inclined towards doing this?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Firing the 3rd barrel

I dont know. It has to be HU for sure. And it has to look damn ugly like 4 of the same color or an A on the river and he has to be weak. FWIW I would check J10s through in your example but probably fire with 56s. You will never fold a pair nor an ace against a typical player imo. So you are looking at folding K high hands. I dont think they are common enough.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:40 AM

One from last nights session. From memory but the details are basically correct. Full table but that doesn't matter.

I have 26d in the BB. One very loose limper, one other limper, SB complets.

Flop 3d 8d Tc. I bet, loose limper calls (which he will with practically any 2). Others fold

Turn: 9c. I bet, loose limper calls (will call here with gutshot etc).

River 4s. I bet.

Arguable hand, but there was absolutely no way I was winning this hand if it was checked down, and therefore was getting odds purely based on those times villain was drawing and did not have a pair.

This sums up 90% of the situations I am doing it in:

I have been semi-bluffing all the way
Its HU
I have missed and have no way to win a showdown
Villain has shown no resistence and appears to be drawing

The other situation is on a 4-flush board, where it is often correct to bet without any of the suit IMO.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 AM

The situation you were in seems like it might be ok, but I think it would be far better if the guy who had been calling down had been the SB. It is one thing to call a bet, it is another to check, and then call a bet. Regardless, the situation you described might be correct.