Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Line I see in Mid High once in a while...

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Too bad I don't know when I'm suppose to implement it. Villian is your average 40/20.

Krishan
Old 11-13-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Line I see in Mid High once in a while...

Seems ok. I'm guessing that the reasoning behind this is that you don't want to get bluffed off your best hand on the turn, while also wanting to induce a bluff from his worse hand. On the river, you don't want him to check behind, being scared that you called his turn bet, and since your play seems weird, he would almost never raise you with a worse hand.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:05 PM

I use this one somewhat regularly. The only disadvantage I've found is that it seems to elicit more bluff raises than usual, so you should be a bit wary about bet/folding. This is balanced though by the ridiculous stuff people will bet the turn/call the river with.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:27 PM

I use it sometimes as well and it elicits 77 calldowns
Old 11-13-2005, 01:04 PM

what worse hands call the river donkbet after youve checkcalled the turn? seems like there isnt much value in betting. and i really hate taking these lines because they basically put a sticker on your forehead that says "BLUFFRAISE ME ILL FOLD!"
Old 11-13-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what worse hands call the river donkbet after youve checkcalled the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pairs and any other made hands without clubs. They won't always call but they certainly wouldn't bet if you checked to them so that makes leading good. You are right about the bluff raise problem though. I think this line is only good against predictable players who don't bluff raise or players whose raise you could easily call.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:43 PM

There's a very similar situation to this where it, IMO, is correct to check a weak made flush to induce a bluff bet from your opponent. Using your hand I made up an example. Do you guys (and girls) agree with this play?:

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (2 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 4 BB
Old 11-13-2005, 07:18 PM

I like the line but agree that being bluffraised is a concern, so I would use it against players I have a good read on.

I like PP123's example hand...I think that's a great place to induce a bluff against aggressive players...small pot, free card won't hurt you, in position. Good example.

Surf
Old 11-13-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a very similar situation to this where it, IMO, is correct to check a weak made flush to induce a bluff bet from your opponent. Using your hand I made up an example. Do you guys (and girls) agree with this play?:

<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (2 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 4 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise preflop.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this line is only good against predictable players who don't bluff raise or players whose raise you could easily call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing this was a general statement, but are there any players that could possibly make a raise here easy to call? I doubt it.