Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 04:25 PM

Default AP 10/20 6-max

Ok, I've been lurking for awhile and figured I make a first post and contribute something here..I hope

Comments on all streets apprecitated Villian is this hand is BB 22.17/9.5/1.1. Over 221 hands and even less at the time this hand was played. My read on him is he is a tricky TAG capable of making a play at the pot either out of position or in position. I also think he believes I will fold to these moves in certain situations, but this I'm not entirely sure about.

Preflop:
I have Jc9c and am folded to in the cutoff. I open raise.
Villian calls
Pot:$45

Standard I think

*** FLOP *** [3h Qc 6c]
Villian - Bets $10
Hero - Raises $20 to $20
Villian - Raises $20 to $30
Hero - Calls $10
Pot: $102

My reason for the raise was to attempt to find out if he had a Q and to get a free card. Also I believe he can make this bet with 2nd or 3rd pair or a draw. Based on the 3 bet though I think he most likely has a Q

*** TURN *** [3h Qc 6c] [9d]
Villian - Bets $20
Hero - Calls $20
Pot: $142

I just called here figuring I am still only on a draw. There is in my opinion and a chance I am now ahead. Anyone raise this turn ? If so why?

*** RIVER *** [3h Qc 6c 9d] [3c]
Villian - Bets $20
Hero - Raises $40 to $40
Villian - Raises $40 to $60
Hero - Calls $20
Total Pot($265) | Rake ($3)

I think that after Villians reraise a simple call is the correct play here. Anyone think I'm missing a bet here?

Maybe this is a standard hand the way I played it but I'm not sure about the turn and the river. Comments appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: AP 10/20 6-max

Hi Chris-

Let me guess: Villain flips over Q9 or Q6 for two pair and your hand is good?

I'd like to know how often he defends his blind and whether he's capable of folding a hand he 3-bet the flop with. Without any more information I'm inclined to agree with your line; call the turn, raise the river and call a 3-bet. You can't really raise the turn because the flop 3-bet signifies top pair far too often here.

Here are good reasons to raise the turn:
1) You might have the best hand, and raise to punish him when he's behind and also give you a free showdown.
2) You might push him off a better hand.
3) You gain value when you make your draw because of the added deception your turn raise brings you.

Getting a free showdown isn't too important here; plus, we can't fold if he 3-bets us on the turn because of our flush draw so that's not a good enough reason. He isn't folding a better hand here hardly ever so that's a bad reason, and it looks like this player is happy to pay you off when you make your draws so I wouldn't worry about adding deception to your game.

By the way, please read the sticky at the top of the forum on how to post hands. It's nice to see them in a slightly more readable format ... also, that will give you automatic pot sizes instead of posting it in dollar figures.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:47 PM

I think absolute's 10/20 plays as aggressively as their 5/10 does, and raising the turn for value is an option. Otherwise I play it the same. This format for the hand is fine, I wish absolute had a converter as well, although most of the absolute people just write out the hands.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Sorry about the format, I couldn't seem to get the hand converter to work for absolute so I just gave up. When he 3 bet, I didn't think he had just two pair (obvisoulsy or I pop it again). I think at this point he has a boat, trips or a flush. In that order of likely hood. So the only logical hands I beat are trips and a smaller flush. I don't think he missed the 3rd club though.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 PM

Oh ok Chris, didn't know there was a converter problem with Absolute. That being the case, just write it out, use the suit tags, ( [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) and take out the dollar amounts on the raises and convert the pot to number of small and big blinds.

By the way, if we have a nut flush instead of a jack high, I'd probably be in favor of capping it; we're probably ahead at least half the time here if we include inferior flush draws.