Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 AM

Default This hand\'s been bothering me

Party Poker $0.50/$1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero (poster) calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (15.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

My thinking:
Preflop: I posted a blind to get into the game, so I'm going to call KQo for an extra bet.
Flop: I have top pair, good kicker, and the 2nd nut backdoor flush draw. So I re-raised. I think that was the correct play, although I would've liked to see the CO fold.
Turn: The BB bet into me again, I was less sure that I had the best hand. Also the 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] closed my backdoor flush draw (and I guess backdoor straight draw if you want to count that), so should I still have re-raised? I thought I could get the CO to fold for 2BB this time, but I was wrong.
River: I made my two pair and re-raised because I didn't think anyone was drawing to a backdoor flush on the flop.

Advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: This hand\'s been bothering me

Preflop could go either way IMO. Occasionally 3-bet.

Postflop good.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:53 AM

I swing towards 3-bet preflop.

Postflop good.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I posted a blind to get into the game, so I'm going to call KQo for an extra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're definitely seeing a flop. I would 3-bet it, but just calling isn't bad.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: I have top pair, good kicker, and the 2nd nut backdoor flush draw. So I re-raised. I think that was the correct play, although I would've liked to see the CO fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good raise. You're probably ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: The BB bet into me again, I was less sure that I had the best hand. Also the 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] closed my backdoor flush draw (and I guess backdoor straight draw if you want to count that), so should I still have re-raised? I thought I could get the CO to fold for 2BB this time, but I was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without reads, I don't like turn donks. He could think you've got a flush draw and were making a free card play. I would just call. I don't think I mind CO hanging around.

[ QUOTE ]
River: I made my two pair and re-raised because I didn't think anyone was drawing to a backdoor flush on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bad poker thinking. BB has donked again, meaning that he probably has a pretty good hand. Granted, you've got one, too. But I'd rather try to get CO to overcall and win my extra bet from him instead of being faced with a 3-bet from a set, because having to pay that off would suck. You also need to worry about a hand like Kx[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 11-14-2005, 03:51 AM

EDITED because I'm having a brain hernia rethinking this hand.

I think it would have been better to first stop the action at the turn. I think the Q on the river effects my view of the turn play somehow. Though I don't think I would have played it differently.

I find myself wondering would you raise this river had the Q not fallen? I don't see why not. Nothing has really changed since the flop. But somehow I don't think I would have in the face of the river donk.

I think it's BB's play that most confuses me.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]