Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Bluffing

I play very LAG and a large part of my game is based on bluffing. If a player seems weak at all, I always represent a strong hand and try to get him out. This will sometimes involve plays as elaborate as calling a flop, check-raising a turn and then betting out big on the river.
For the most part, I can correctly assess who I can get out of what pots, and for how much. However, especially in my more elaborate bluffs, I sometimes end up losing a ton of money. For example, if I decide a player is weak on the flop, I might slow bluff him, only to find he had bottom pair on the flop, but hit two pair on the river.
Going over PT hand histories, I've found this is especially the case when bluffing out of position. In fact, my button is absurdly profitable when compared to my small blind. Most bluffing mistakes I've made have been in the small blind, big blind, or UTG.
Anyway, I'd like to know how some of the other posters here feel about bluffing, especially elaborate multistreet bluffs/semibluffs.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Bluffing

Doesn't anyone want to discuss bluffs?

Edit: I don't see why I got no responses here. Is this a stupid post?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 AM

A bluff I had tonight:

I raise A4o in cutoff to pot, shortie-ish btn calls, blinds fold.

Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Tx. I pot it, he calls.

Turn, blank, I overbet the pot by putting him all in for potx2, he calls with ATo, I'm pwned.

Moral of the story? Bluffing sucks.

*After this hand I decided I should stop the sesison for the night, too.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise A4o in cutoff to pot

[/ QUOTE ]
Standard play, or were you tilting?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:46 AM

sop, but you could say postflop was tilt, i guess

edit: or, just a bluff gone wrong, i guess. i make mistakes, too. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2005, 01:49 AM

Interesting. Ace rag hands are one thing that I'm very careful about open raising w/ from cutoff or button because they're a bitch to play postflop. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Ace rag hands are one thing that I'm very careful about open raising w/ from cutoff or button because they're a bitch to play postflop. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, when you're able to go broke on an aceless board, you're definately playing them well!

~

But yeah, key is not going broke on an ace high board. Really, I'm just looking to pick up the pot, I dont need A4o to do that, it just so happens occaisonally I'll be able to win a small pot by showing down.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:31 AM

Well, this post is somewhat straight forward. First, your lag style makes it a little more difficult to bluff seeing as observant players will notice you betting the hell out of every pot and will start to call you down or possibly try to trap you. Second, bluffing out of position is something thats much more difficult to do than when your in position. OOP you dont have the advantage of seeing what your opponent does first. In position you have many more options, it doesnt have to be a stone cold bluff, you can semi bluff and take a free card and your opponent always has to act first. I know this is basic but its important IMO. Also, i think you may be trying to make too many plays/bluffs. I dont think thats where the majority of your profits are going to come from, if your bluffing every pot your gonna get caught and lose a pretty penny. So with that said, i think that you might want to bluff less frequently and when you do be in position. I dont want to get into big pots OOP with weak hands let alone a multistreet bluff. Try bluffing less frequently and more of semi-bluffing in position and see how it works for you. Good luck!

Tien
Old 11-06-2005, 04:23 AM

Maybe you shouldn't overbet the pot, if it doesn't work more than 50% of the time you're losing money. Maybe you can steal the pot sometimes with smaller bets like 1/4th of the pot. If they fold often enough it can be profitable.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:53 AM

Dont bluff OOP.

That is all I can say.