Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:29 AM

Default People, I really don\'t like one comment that I\'m hearing...

It's okay to post "I didn't like this article." but whether or not 2p2 paid for it is none of your concern.

EDIT: STFU, YSSCKY, etc. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: People, I really don\'t like one comment that I\'m hearing...

[ QUOTE ]
It's okay to post "I didn't like this article." but whether or not 2p2 paid for it is none of your concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay to post either, actually. People can concern themselves with whatever they want.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay to post either, actually. People can concern themselves with whatever they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But don't expect me to care what you think is and isn't worth paying for.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never claimed you or anyone else should care, but people can post those kinds of comments if they wish. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I could start a whole thing about a "noted poker authority" not caring about what his (potential)readers think is worth paying for I won't. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Your books are great.

Ed I like the make up of the magazine. It's got a nice balance of articles. Some interest me, some don't and some I simply don't understand. End of the day I'm always happy when the new articles are up.

The thing about a forum is that it's made for people to share information and opinions. I don't really see the big deal if people actually start doing that? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If you don't care about the feedback you get from the users of this forum I don't see why you would make the effort to do the good job that you ARE doing? Maybe you're getting paid really well for it? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyways, I've always liked the positive way you've approached conflict situations on the board (as far as I've read them, for instance the whole Lee Jones thing) contrary to some of the other powers that be. I just hope don't you're not getting engulfed in the 2+2 company culture of looking down at people.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't care about the feedback you get from the users of this forum I don't see why you would make the effort to do the good job that you ARE doing? Maybe you're getting paid really well for it? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I care about the feedback about the articles. If you like something or don't like something, please discuss it on the forum... not just to improve future issues, but as learning exercises themselves.

And be as specific as possible. Vague, generalized, hand-wavy criticism isn't much use to anyone. If you can't be bothered to write more than a one-liner, then don't expect the authors and editors to give your opinion much weight.

The "I can't believe 2+2 paid this schmoe $200 for this crap" comments come from another place. $200 isn't a lot of money for many of our authors, and mostly they write because they want to contribute and they have something to say. Getting paid something for it is nice, but it's not the top priority.

The comments about "this article isn't worth a damn penny" are intended to be snarky and trollish, not constructive. Hence, I don't really pay them much attention, and I advise the authors not to do so either.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Of course, you're correct, people can post whatever they wish. But I agree with Ed's point that one-liners saying something critical are not helpful to anyone. I've made the same criticism about posts on the strategy forums: when someone says, "you should have raised the turn," it's not very helpful. Why should you have raised the turn? What good would have come of it? What bad thing happened because you didn't raise the turn?

Nobody is obligated to post anything, but why just say something critical without any input into how the post or article could have been better? Take a look at the criticism of my article in the thread on this forum. The OP was very specific and informative on what he saw as a drawback in my thinking, and it was very insightful and helpful, and stimulated good discussion.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, you're correct, people can post whatever they wish. But I agree with Ed's point that one-liners saying something critical are not helpful to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't get any argument from me about this. Hopefullly nobody thought my previous post meant that I am supportive of pointless and empty criticisms.

Also, nobody should think I am neutral about trolling in this forum either. People who are only here to cause trouble and get reactions shouldn't expect to be around very long.