Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 03:06 PM

Default AK vs. Q6o, A Classic Battle

1/2 at UB. Villian is UTG and is extremely loose, and strangely aggressive at times. Hero is UTG+1. Please help me understand where and if I went wrong on the hand.

Pre-Flop:

Villian limps, I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], everybody folds, villian calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian checks, Hero bets, Villian raises, Hero calls

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian checks, Hero checks?

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian bets, Hero calls?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: AK vs. Q6o, A Classic Battle

I think what you did is okay.

You say Villain is strangely aggressive, and you don't know who's drawing on the turn. And many players' first instinct is to check and go for a checkraise, whenever they improve, so we may be up against a straight. At the same time, if we do get checkraised again, I'm thinking we could be up against a two-pair hand we have decent outs against or even a top-pair hand we're beating (if the flop checkraise was a semi-bluff).

You encouraged the river bet with your turn check, so I think you should call versus your LAG opponent. We don't know if he whiffed on a turn checkraise or not, and the queen may have helped him, but I think your hand is worth showing down.

Anyway, though, I should admit that it's possible I'm being influenced by a similar hand I played this weekend. I bet the turn against my LAG opponent and then called down after I got checkraised (and I was shown the jack).
Old 11-10-2005, 12:51 AM

I cant answer because you posted the results. Dont do that next time. My brain makes no effort to think when I already know why the villain acted like he did.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:38 AM

He did? It looked as if he was asking questions of both the turn and the river...whether or not he should check the turn or bet and whether to call the river after checking through. Should he simply post the turn, then post the river in a reply?

FWIW, I think the river call is fine given the read on the villain.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:34 AM

His subject already stated the villains hand.