Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Please Call Me a Girly Man (second stack v big stack)

Full table. ITM. Average stack was like 15-20k. I'm second stack at my table 31k. Blinds (800/1600). Big stack villain is SB with 53k and has been playing too tightly preflop, so I've been stealing the blinds very liberally. I don't remember any hands villain played postflop, as his preflop raises tended to get respect and were infrequent. BB is super-tight with 8.5k (he plays in every tourny I play in, and I love to see him at my table when the blinds are big). Other stacks at the table are all <10BB except for 1 20k.

Folds to me in MP with 9To. I make it 3.6k. Folds to big stack who calls. BB folds (I love this guy.). Flop comes 973r. Big stack bets 4k. I vomit and raise to 10k. He miniraises me. I vomit. I vomit again. I fold.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Please Call Me a Girly Man (second stack v big stack)

I'd probably fold there too, just because of the weak kicker. If I knew he was aggressive with second pair, I might want to call, but even his reraise is probably too aggressive for an aggressive player with second pair. I'd guess he hit a set of 3's and fold as well. Although he might be slowplaying a big pair preflop, although not sure why he would bet out with an overpair on this safe board with that, so I think he hit a set, and hopes you have an overpair.

I'd end up losing some money if I had A9 here I bet, and definitely would with an overpair.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:40 PM

Looks standard to me. I think it's clear that you're behind and you still have enough chips to get away from the hand. Aside from folding pre-flop, I can't think of a better line for this hand. And given your reads on the blinds, I don't really like folding pre-flop either. Just one of those hands...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 PM

yes, but, did you vomit?

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't like the raise to 10 K. You're betting more than 35% of your stack there (and giving the villain about 4:1 to make the call) when you're either way ahead againsy a couple of over or way behind to an over pair or TP/better kicker, it seems like an AI or fold spot to me.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's clear that you're behind and you still have enough chips to get away from the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I behind enough to justify the great pot odds. Changing the min-raise to a push (because clearly I'm committed if I call), I'm getting 2.7:1.

I'm not sure if I made this clear, but he certainly views me as aggro, possibly maniacal.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, but, did you vomit?

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't like the raise to 10 K. You're betting more than 35% of your stack there (and giving the villain about 4:1 to make the call) when you're either way ahead againsy a couple of over or way behind to an over pair or TP/better kicker, it seems like an AI or fold spot to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. At the time, I assumed he'd fold essentially all holdings that he leads for 4k there, so I thought it didn't matter much that it was a dumb amount.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:15 PM

I think you have to consider a draw here with a 79 on board. Hands like JT and T8 are possible but i'd probably think he had a set with the mini-reraise or at the least A9. You may want to fold this with him betting into you, it looks like he doesn't want to give this pot up and your hand is marginal. You can get out with minimal loss and probably get it back with your next steal.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:39 PM

It's important to have more of a read here than "tight preflop." How far ITM are you? what is the structure/how many are left before the final table? What was the buyin? were there satellites into this event? Does he have a donkey or fish type name? Look him up in Nat's database.

Not having seen any postflop hands vs this opponent makes this a tough hand to play. Is he tricky enough to cold call with a big pair? (villains that are would definitely take this line). Is he afraid of losing a 31k chunk or is he eager to fight with you? I know of at least two very successful players who could be coming at you here with air.

If I had just been moved or something I would probably call big stack's flop bet and then see what he does on the turn. For what it's worth I float too much and sometimes I fold the turn and look like a huge fish.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 PM

i'd say the odds you're ahead after his reraise are ~1%. i play the hand just like you do.