Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 05:51 AM

Default cant seem to win at 1/2 limit holdem

dont know what else to do, have tried and tried at it and every time i get a hand worth betting or raise it keeps getting cracked by trash hands...keep getting my money slowly drained by blinds...usually play at the 6 max tables. looking for help. have read lee jones book, advanced holdem multiple times, nothing seems to work.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: cant seem to win at 1/2 limit holdem

ed miller's small stakes holdem.....quit complaining
Old 11-06-2005, 06:01 AM

Friend.. I would not mess with the 6 max tables yet. Short-handed poker requires a lot more experience.

My advice to you is to look for 10 handed loose games and play super tight. If you're having trouble with good hands getting cracked it's because you aren't raising enough to drive players out. I see it all the time.

People get pissed off when their aces get cracked. They just call the flop and wait til the turn or river to raise to extract the maximum amount of chips. But that's not optimal play because your top pair against 4 or 5 players won't always be the best <font color="green"> BY THE RIVER</font> In fact, it's a weak hand against a bunch of players.

If you haven't read small stakes hold'em by Ed Miller I really recommend it. Try to make more tactical raises. You just need to learn how to control the table.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:22 AM

thx for the post, ir aise as much as i can, if its checked to me i can only bet, and im cautious to check raise because when i try it they usually all check and i give them a free card, but even when i can get in a raise they all call.

i will be picking up that book asap tho, any more help, im sooooo frustrated
Old 11-06-2005, 10:23 AM

I would agree. Immediately right this moment go out and purchase Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller. Not doing so is definate -EV. I saw immediate results after reading this book (same day I finished)and have not looked back since.

Also I would agree, stick to the full ring games until you have mastered them, then try the 6-max.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:03 PM

I would say to buy SSHE or whatever, but you know that, but in any case, stick to the 6 max tables. That's where the donkeys play and where the money is to be made. I think you're better off learning the game and developing a style for shorthanded play (even if you need to drop to a lower limit) and learning to play that game.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Don't whine, don't complain. Ask yourself :
Does anyone win in this game?

If yes then :
Find out what they're doing. If you want people to help you (and that's what this board is for) then make them WANT to help you. Moaning is not going to do it.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Read SSHE but make sure you are reading hands on the forums. Keep a tab on hands that are confusing you that you play in, and post them (using harv's guidelines). Beware: SSHE can be a recipe for LAGtastic disaster if misinterpreted. That is why forums are so important.

And definitely steer clear of the 6 max tables. I just recently started playing them and they have been great for me, both in winnings and what I have learned there. But this is after playing full games for 5 months or so, and becoming successful at 2/4 full.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:36 PM

haven't read the entire thread. but six max you really have to pay attention to the other players (10 person is alot less taxing) and you have to come in raising alot.. make sure you're watching position in six max.

sounds like you're playing the high cards aggressively which is correct... i too was surprised six max had so many flushes winning.... another thing about six max is the table texture is constantly changing. if people lose enough, they eventually leave. so it can get very shorthanded (which can get very expensive very quickly) and always new people).... i would go to 10 person where you can just make standard decisions.... see king yao or abdul free article's for shorthanded advice.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:40 PM

I can't win at 1/2 either. I moved up to $5/$10 where people respect my raises and I'm raking it in.

I can only imagine how much I would make at $10/$20.
Closed Thread