Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Is it better to reraise allin with AA and make a small reraise with AK

People tend to see a small reraise as a big pair and a large reraise or reraise allin as being AK/AQ or maybe 99-JJ or a resteal. Maybe it is good to reverse these patterns for the sake of deception.

In live tournaments you can get more of an idea of what people are thinking. I played in three live tournaments yesterday (didn't cash, but more than made up for it in the cash games in between).

In one case, with blinds 100/200, UTG raises to 600. I raise allin in the SB for 4400 with AKs. UTG says I hope he has AK and calls, showing 55.

In the second case, blinds 200/400. Second position miniraises to 800. I have 5300 in 5th position and raise to 2000 with AA. Flop comes QT6, 2-flush. 2nd position checks, I push, and 2nd position folds.

I wonder if I would have done better reraising the 600 raise to 1500 with AK, and pushing to 5300 against the miniraise to 800.

Obviously, the guy who raised UTG and called allin with 55 was somewhat of a donk. However, making a small raise and pushing the flop might have worked better in this case and with a lot of likely hands he could have.