Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Buy in ?

I play in a weekly cash game, min$20 max$100, i dont have much $$ (i'm 17). I usually can walk out with around $50-$60 profit on average, but it usually takes me 2 buy-ins of $20 to accomplish this. Should i buy in for more then $20 or keep it the way i'm goin?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Buy in ?

Build up your bankroll. If you have little money, but consistently beat this game, you should be able to build up a bankroll where you can increase the buy-in and not worry so much about a downswing. Remember, only play with what you can afford to lose. Once your bankroll is up to where you are comfortable assuming more risk.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:29 PM

Yea i try and do this but since its only once a week its hard to make the money and keep the money. I've analyzed my game and corrected a few things hopefully i can start walkin out with $100+.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:43 AM

, Without knowing the details of the game, blinds. limit/NL its hard to say. $20 bucks would be fine in a 10cent/20cent NL game for instance.

Generally, if you are buying in for the min in a NL game, though, you are buying in too short. Although there has been some discussion about the advantages of playing shortstacked in NL lately, with such notables as Ed Miller weighing in in favor and I believe Barry Greestein advocates it in his book. You might try the search function for those discussions. Personally I like to have enough chips to pressure my opponents and to maximize the pots when I hit monsters.

However, it does sound like even this level of money is a real concern for you. If you bought in for more, you still need to be prepared to stack off and be willing to reach into your pocket for more cash at least a time or two. (I'm assuming NL here). If its too painful to do that you might want to stick to your short stack strategy.

--Zetack
Old 11-29-2005, 11:57 AM

Can you afford to lose more? If not, then you seem to be doing well enough.