Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 06:52 AM

Default Roar like a lion, squeak like a mouse

Ok so I have been running very lucky playing 2-4 online lately, so I decided that since I am very lucky playing online, I would try the 10-20 game for one day to see if I could have a great day!

I am playing in the 10-20 game and it is going ok, I am ahead and I am running very lucky!

I get K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] UTG+2 and think, if this was some 2-4 game, I would raise and they would call with bad hands! But this is 10-20, if I raise, they will fold bad hands. I compare that to my interest, and decide to raise!

In 2-4 like fashion, the cutoff and button both cold call the raising. The small blind elects to fold, but the big blind (curse his blackened soul) defends.

The flop comes favorablish:

Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

The big blind lukewarmchecks, and I unleash the thunder of two e-chips into the pot for a bet. Unwilling to accept my alpha like position, all three players call.

The turn transpires the:

Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

The big blind checks again, and I erupt with a bet. The cutoff declares amnesty and folds, but the button still calls. The Big blind now flashes the checkraise. I ponder and ponder...at the 2-4 this always means KQo is beaten! But the question is always how badly is it beaten...and why is the button still lingering around the dark edges of what I considered to by my rightful place as the "pot winner"?! I decide that a lion of poker would reraise here, and I shake more chips out of my mane and declare myself leader of the pride with another raise. The button wimperingly calls, and I tenatively await the possible 4 bet, indicating a JT from the big blind. However, he just calls.

The river indicates the:

Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I consider it unlikely that this card has helped me, and after the big blind checks, I icily check, thinking back to the delicious piece of cheddar hidden in a nook and cranny in my hole. The button doesn't pressure me.

Well...its not yet clear if I am due to win this hand. Probably I have the button beaten! But will I win...and did I play good...or am I just still running very lucky?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Roar like a lion, squeak like a mouse

when he check-raises the turn and doesn't bet the river, I would usually put him on a pair + draw hand, something like A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] or QT. I think you missed an easy river value bet here.

Congratulations on moving up and good luck at 10-20...
Old 06-16-2003, 04:40 PM

Default and slaughtered like a gazelle (results)

The blind had Q9o and turned two pair to gore me. The button had called the flop on a gutshot and picked up a flush draw on the turn, but ended up with nuthin!

Old 06-16-2003, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Roar like a lion, squeak like a mouse

"I get KQ UTG+2 and think, if this was some 2-4 game, I would raise and they would call with bad hands! But this is 10-20, if I raise, they will fold bad hands. I compare that to my interest, and decide to raise!"

a year from now when youre playing 30-60 you will think back to the days when you played 10-20 and think "if this was some 10-20 game, I would raise and they would call with bad hands! But this is 30-60, if I raise, they will fold bad hands." and they will still call. moving up's neat isnt it?

"I icily check, thinking back to the delicious piece of cheddar hidden in a nook and cranny in my hole."

you got something in your hole alright.. maybe you need to get out more..

i didnt really read the post but you played it fine.