Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 10:22 PM

Default 5/10 HU river play board pairs

Villian and I have only played a few hands. I know his name but don't remember anything about his play. I don't think he's a very regular player but voluntarily came to my table to play HU as I was sitting there after the table broke. Is my river play a check here? 5/6 handed I check but it's HU. How much should I willing to put in the middle on the river?

btw, I usually raise pre here but decided to just call..i had raised 3/4 last hands so I was just disguising if I hit, mixing it up.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (6 max, 2 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($1300)
Button ($990)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Button posts a blind of $10.
Hero calls $5, Button (poster) checks.

Flop: ($20) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets $18</font>, Button calls $18.

Turn: ($56) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets $55</font>, Button raises to $135</font>, Hero raises to $350</font>, Button calls $215.

River: ($756) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: 5/10 HU river play board pairs

I like a weakish lead on the river (maybe 200 - 250). Depending on opponent's normal level of agggresion I think his hand range here is any J, busted flush/straight draw, overpair, higher two pair, or a boat. A made hand on the weaker side of the range (J, two pair) will probably talk themselves into a call if they feel you're taking a stab with a weak hand. I think an overpair will definitly call (whereas they might not call off a larger bet.)

This of course opens up the possibility that villain might push, in which case I think you call since his range is wide enough and you won't be shown the boat enough to make a fold with those odds correct. If you check the river it makes it too easy for villain to check behind with a weaker hand.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:53 PM

effective stack is ~600 for the river? Put it all in.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
effective stack is ~600 for the river? Put it all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

And feel good about it.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:05 AM

yup
Old 11-01-2005, 12:26 AM

push
Old 11-01-2005, 12:34 AM

You guys don't think a push lets villain off the hook with medium strength hands too often? Villain's stack is $612 at this point, so a push is only a little less than pot size. I know a lot of people would drop a J to this bet and a weak two pair that may have put you on an overpair might think they just got counterfeited. What hands do you expect to call this push that don't have hero beat?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 AM

I think that if he's calling the turn, he's calling the river.

Also, if we bet anything much less, we are just letting him name his price (I can't fold to a raise here unless I have an amazing read), and we lose more when behind than we gain when ahead.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:58 AM

I'm not suggesting we fold to the all in if he comes over the top of the weak lead. I'm just suggesting that we're losing value here with a push because I think he'll fold most hands we beat and call with most hands that beat us. Alternatively if we lead out for a smaller amount villain could more easily call with hands we beat (albeit still pushing and stacking us when he holds the boat).
Old 11-01-2005, 01:04 AM

I think that the only hand that calls the turn that folds to the river bet is a flush draw.... but I don't know villian.

The problem with the weak lead, is that if villian is smart, he knows that you can't fold to a raise, so he won't bluff.... although I suppose that means we can fold to a raise....... I will feel sick if I have to fold this hand HU.