Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 PM

Default First post

I've been reading these forums for a while now but this is my first post. I'm in the midst of my first big downswing since I started playing consistently a few months ago and thought I should start posting some hands for some much needed advice.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Is this an easy fold after the turn raise? Any other comments about my play on this hand?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: First post

any reads?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:31 PM

IMO
bet Out the flop, how do you know someone will bet at it? You can't anticipate a checkraise when no one has showed agression preflop.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:36 PM

you may have wanted to lead that flop, since you can't be sure where a bet will come from or if one will come at all. As played the raise is good, since it will likely get you heads up or expose a random 5 to you.

I would lead the turn the same way you did.

Given the turn raise, I think you either check/fold or bet/fold this river. I could be wrong there though, since a river check could induce a bet from a worse ace or a naked Jack though.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:48 PM

I would just lead the flop. Someone may have chopping outs against you, but no one's going to fold an ace anyway, and the best draw anyone without an ace or five can have against you is a gutshot. No overcards can fall, and you have aces up on an uncoordinated paired board in a small pot. Hand protection isn't really an issue.

What sucks on the turn is that you're basically calling down hoping to chop (though occasionally you will spike your kicker on the river), since I don't think Villain will be raising with less than an ace very often. But I wouldn't be willing to give my opponent credit for a 5 or AK-AJ or JJ unless I knew he was very loose-passive.

I think you will end up chopping a decent amount of the time.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:49 PM

No reads on villain. I agree I should have led the flop. I thought it was likely the flop hit no one and one of the limpers would take a stab at the pot and I could then raise.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:53 PM

In a multiway, you have to wonder if someone has the 5. People will play Ax, Kx, and low connectors regularly. So your check-raise, while appearing to isolate mp2, could turn bad if you get 3-bet. Would you fold to a 3-bet? His raise on the turn is a might worrisome. He could be raising with the flush draw, and another ace, so the rest looks OK. I will see lots of people show junk, so it's worth getting to showdown with the check &amp; call at the river. Reads are also good. All-in-all it's OK, but it would be EV=0 to check/fold the flop.

Another option is to bet out. You will see some players smooth call, and it could be an indicator of the trips.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All-in-all it's OK, but it would be EV=0 to check/fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advocating check/folding this flop? I like even check/calling better than check/folding.

I agree that betting out is best.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All-in-all it's OK, but it would be EV=0 to check/fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advocating check/folding this flop? I like even check/calling better than check/folding.

I agree that betting out is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, well, if we're checking, why not fold? We bet with the idea that we have the best hand. I just get weak/tight in these situations--family pot &amp; paired board. If it were HU, I'm loving it.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:12 AM

There are three villains, and only 4 cards could potentially beat us. (and with the aces, only AT and AJ worry us, the rest would be raised preflop.)

I'm loving this either way.