Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Building the pot on the turn

Wynn 3/5 no max 9 handed NL. I have ~800. Probably about the median stack for the table. Villain has 2-3k. Pretty nice table with only a couple of tricky players. I have KQ on the BB there are several limpers including villain on the button. SB folds and I check through. Pot is ~25 Flop comes J92 - two suited. It's checked to villain who is fairly tight but certainly capable of a move (one of the tricky players). Villain pots it. None of the other players are dangerous so I make it 75 (should have been 100 but I digress) thinking I have a pretty good chance of taking it down right there and plenty of outs otherwise. Folded to the villain who thinks for quite a while and then calls.

Turn is an unsuited T, giving me the nut straight. Pot is now 175. So, should I lead out with a 50-75 "I'm afraid of the straight" probe bet or a 125-150 "I think my Jack is still good" bet? Villain raised me off of a somewhat smaller pot about an hour before when I bluffed 2/3 the pot.

A smaller bet might well induce a bluff but the larger bet makes my doubling up much more likely if he has a decent hand.

Does the smaller bet look too suspicious after the check raise? Alternatively, might this be a good time to overbet the pot?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Building the pot on the turn

I would bet 150.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Building the pot on the turn

If you are trying to induce a bluff, this is pretty read dependent. In general, however, 150 sounds about right. Villain probably won't put you on the straight and may think you are protecting your hand against draws. It may still get you the raise that you want. A bet of 50-75 would look strange and would give a flush draw odds to just call.