Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Evolving from weak-tightie (lc)

Lessons learned....

I did the typical idiot-to-weak-tight evolution a few months ago. Last couple months I've gotten aggressive, and I haven't done it well.

Continuation bets work, and the occasional well-placed big bluff can work too. But in trying to break out of the nut-peddling nit mode, I have violated some basic rules, that only came clear when I went back and reviewed a bunch of hands.

So for all those who've decided that it's time to LAG it up, here are the guidelines I'm posting on my monitor. Others welcome....

1. Fold top pair to a raise (absent a strong draw). (Copyright TWP 2005) For 1BB or 10BB, it doesn't matter. Whoever raised isn't afraid of the high card on the board. You're behind, dump it.

2. With a strong flop hand with no draw (e.g., flopping a set), facing a draw-heavy board and a raise, slow down. You flopped a set of 5s on a 567r board, congratulations. Someone else is raising. You don't have to play the set for your stack, and now is an excellent time to remember that. Ignoring your draw to boat up, you are now WAWB; don't go crazy.

3. Mid-PPs: no set, no bet. Even with position and a flop checked around, 88 vs. a board with two overs is not worth getting tricky with. (There are certainly exceptions here, especially HU, but this is a baseline.)

4. AK unimproved gets 1 continuation bet max, and not a penny more. You raised with it preflop, and if you get called on the flop, you're in big trouble. Prepare to let it go.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Evolving from weak-tightie (lc)

I would append your first rule to be opponent specific. Against a maniac in a heads up pot whose raising range is wide I'm going to get to river (as cheaply as possible with TPTK). Otherwise, I agree that against most villains, it is an easy fold without redraws.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:39 AM

Rigid rules are not cool. And 2 makes so very little sense. WA/WB? wtf?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:42 AM

I don't like the set-rule either, if it's don't more than 150bb stack i'm happy to get everything in the middle with a set no matter what like 95% of the time.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:44 AM

i dont know if these rules are for 6 max or full ring but if there for 6 max i think you are giving up alot of money.

paul
Old 10-31-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rigid rules are not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Good judgement is coolest. But guidelines aren't a bad thing.

[ QUOTE ]
And 2 makes so very little sense. WA/WB? wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]
The idea is just that a set isn't going to win every time, and if there are some danger signs that you may in fact be behind, you don't have to play for it all. Am I seeing monsters? Maybe I'm overreacting to getting stacked on too many sets recently.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:01 AM

I've recently undergone a transformation from TAG/nit/set-miner to a slightly less nittish TAG

The thing that sticks out in my mind most, is when you play more LAGish, you force your opponents into situations with reverse implied odds.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that sticks out in my mind most, is when you play more LAGish, you force your opponents into situations with reverse implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate? I know what reverse implied odds are, but are you on the dealing end or the receiving end here? I don't follow.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont know if these rules are for 6 max or full ring but if there for 6 max i think you are giving up alot of money.

paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Should have noted, these are for full ring -- I'm a disaster at 6-max.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 AM

we are on the dealing end, which is very very good

Here's what I mean. I open-raise to 3.5 BB's preflop (which I do more and more these days) and the big blind calls.

He checks, I bet 5.5 BB's into a 7.5 BB pot. At this point, he can only put me on any suited connector, any suited ace, any pocket pair and a few other hands. In other words, he has no idea what I have.

But, he's sick of me betting all the time and wants to take a stand, what can he do? Well, he can call and check the turn, which is great for me. If I have a draw to beat his top pair I can take a free card. If not, I can value bet my well-conceled monster and sometimes bluff with air if I feel like it. He's in a real bad spot if he's set on calling me down with top pair.

Or, he can check-raise the flop. This commits about 30% of his stack, while I have only committed 10% of my stack. If I flopped air, I can make an easy decision and fold. If I flopped something good, it's pretty easy to stack him at this point.

If he wants to lead at the flop, I will have to pay attention to him and get an idea of what he leads at the flop with. Once I have a read on him, I can call with appropriate hands (which results on me having postion, and him always having to commit more money in before me) or I can raise, putting about 30% of my stack in. If he wants to continue with the hand, he is pretty much committed to going all in, where as I can still fold if I want to.

The key to all this is if your hand range is wide, he has a real hard time trying to figure out how to play his hand, no board looks entirely safe to him