Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Quick Preflop question

Party 5/10 ring

11/3/0.9 over 1400 hands opens UTG

Folded to me in MP, I have AKo, my action?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Quick Preflop question

3%= AA-JJ/AK, guess that makes it a fold. Also he opens from UTG which should mean he's range is even tighter. I don't think we can outplay this range postflop.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3%= AA-JJ/AK, guess that makes it a fold. Also he opens from UTG which should mean he's range is even tighter. I don't think we can outplay this range postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is passive postflop which makes him predictable though.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold to an UTG raise with AKo. My post sounds ridiculous. Irl I raise and feel smart. If we have reason to expect he has rigid raising standards preflop I think folding is ok, but I've seen a lot of players with very low pfr raising crap because they're inconsequent. We'll outflop QQ/JJ ~32% and KK ~18% and AA almost never. If we miss the flop I don't think we can call down hoping for a split. At the same time this player might not bet missed AK postflop. If we 3-bet preflop we might even be able to play him off AK, but I doubt it. I think we need to give up on the turn often.

I'm tired. Take my advice fwiw...
Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold to an UTG raise with AKo. My post sounds ridiculous. Irl I raise and feel smart. If we have reason to expect he has rigid raising standards preflop I think folding is ok, but I've seen a lot of players with very low pfr raising crap because they're inconsequent. We'll outflop QQ/JJ ~32% and KK ~18% and AA almost never. If we miss the flop I don't think we can call down hoping for a split. At the same time this player might not bet missed AK postflop. If we 3-bet preflop we might even be able to play him off AK, but I doubt it. I think we need to give up on the turn often.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had a better postflop read (like if I knew he'd pay me off with QQ or JJ after I flop a pair), I'd play this, probably threebet. I'd call if I knew I'd get some guaranteed calls behind. In retrospect, a fold is probably best though.

He had JJ. Flop was Ace high. He check/called me to the river and MHIG
Old 10-31-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had a better postflop read (like if I knew he'd pay me off with QQ or JJ after I flop a pair), I'd play this, probably threebet. I'd call if I knew I'd get some guaranteed calls behind. In retrospect, a fold is probably best though.

He had JJ. Flop was Ace high. He check/called me to the river and MHIG

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is the way he'll play JJ after a 3-bet preflop I think 3-betting preflop is fine. I'll bet the flop UI if checked to. If checked to on the turn I'll take a freecard UI, this player don't seem likely to bluff me on the river with AK. Otherwise I'm folding this the turn to aggression UI, I think our earlier aggression will keep him calm with QQ/JJ, and even against these hands we don't have the odds to draw. Against AA/KK we certainly don't have the odds to draw.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 PM

If you get a couple cold callers i think this is an ok call. We can release it fast because he is passive.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 PM

I think the answer to this completely depends on how straightforward/passive he is postflop.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the answer to this completely depends on how straightforward/passive he is postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, against someone who had the same preflop stats and was aggro I'd fold.