Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 01:09 AM

Default The best energy policy ever

I'm nauseated by the "if kerry.." thread. Many posters enthusiastically calling for massive government funding and appropriation for an "appollo program of alternative energy".

Of course this would be a complete disaster and anyone who knows anything about how our government works and how economies work should know this (no, the real Appollo program is not a good example because it was not competing with private enterprise moon missions. Government can be adequate with endeavors that have no free market incentive, such as useless ego-boosting moon-missions ).

We have the best possible energy policy going RIGHT NOW! It's called high oil prices.

Mucking around with the oil economy is the height of folly. Don't get me wrong, it's already seriously mucked around with, I understand that. But the answer to a problem created by governemtn is not "more government".

We have the best possible energy policy going. High oil prices have spurred private research and investment to record highs. Only a moron could think that was a coincidence and only a naive fool could possibly think that a small group of elite purse-holder is capable of directing that capital and human energy more effectively.

natedogg
Old 11-03-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: The best energy policy ever

I have been saying this same thing...

These high oil prices could be the absolute best environmental windfall ever. This is a blessing in disguise.

-Gryph
Old 11-03-2005, 04:13 PM

Part of the reason that prices are going up is increased consumption in China and India. Given that the overal global consumption is a bigger issue for the environment, I'm not as sanguine as you two.

Anyway, although I understand that you guys are happy to let our economy take a nosedive to save the environment, I'm not as thrilled about the prospect. (If you don't think higher energy prices impact the economy, well, then don't bother reading this.)

Another downside of our current energy situation is a reliance on the Middle East. (If you think that relying on Saudi Arabia for our energy is a good idea, don't bother reading this.)

We need to work on every front imaginable to improve our energy situation:

- Support Canada's efforts to extract oil from previously difficult land which will prove to be the world's largest oil reserves

- Invest in coal-to-liquid fuel technologies

- Invest in figuring out how to safely dispose of nuclear materials so we can use nuclear power

- Improve efficiency in cars and other energy consuming devices

The free market does a lot of good things, but it didn't build the interstate highway system.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been saying this same thing...

These high oil prices could be the absolute best environmental windfall ever. This is a blessing in disguise.

-Gryph

[/ QUOTE ]
If nothing else at least you are at least an optimist.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that the free market will solve our energy problem. At least not if by "solve" you mean magically find a new source of energy that can take up where oil is leaving and enabling us to continue business-as-usual. There is no new oil.
But me and nate have already had that argument for far to long, so let's not start over.

The problem with your hope here is that I'm afraid that many of the new techs that will be brought to market is not necesarrily environ friendly. Many of them will be things like, coal-liquidification, which isn't very nice. Palm-tree biofuel, which is grown on land that used to be rainforests. Ethanol from Brazil that is grown on land that used to be rainforests. Ethanol made from corn or other stupid sources that takes pesticides and other chemicals to grow. Plus we will kinda need the land to grow food soon enough. Tar sands / shale oil which is an environ disaster to manufacture. And so on, and so forth.

So it's a bit early for calling it a blessing.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:29 PM

That is why I said "could" be a windfall...

I wouldn't say that I am an optimist. We have f-ed up the environment up until this point so I don't see anything changing. We will always gravitate to what is cheaper. I think what is happening is that the oil prices are starting to make alternative fuels competative. This will cause the initial start up money to flow in that direction and once the system is in place people will be more inclined to maintain and advance that technology. We just need to get over that hump.

As for China and India, I agree but it will take America to change its energy policy to come more in line with the EU mindset and then a global effort to change how China and India are burning though fossil fuels.

As for your other examples, I just see those as making do with what you have currently. Would it be better to have the rainforests. Sure. But now that they are gone can we make an environmentally safe use of the land.

I'm telling you...the person that figures out Smalley's nanotube technology and takes it to a commercial level will be the new oil barons of the 21st century.

-Gryph
Old 11-03-2005, 06:19 PM

ugh.......... do you ever get tired of making the same linkless/factless posts?

My "count the grant funded novel inventions/discovery's in a college textbook" challenge still stands.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 PM

Those ar ethe most unimaginative ideas ive ever heard. All except one use some sort of oil/coal derivative, and the other is nuclear energy! Bah.

Join the 21st century where things like hydrogen, solar and wind power are ripe for the picking. Even better right here in the good old USA!! Why bother with any forgien energy source when we could put off shore wind turbines, or solar powered electrolosis plants to produce H2?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:49 PM

I totally agree but the things i mention would be an improvement over bush's current approach, which show just how dumb and incompetent he is. Or evil. I'm not sure which.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:01 PM

The simplest answer is usually the best answer!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Improve efficiency in cars and other energy consuming devices

[/ QUOTE ]
Take a look at Toyota's stock over the last several months. Efficient cars are thriving. The market responded to the need.