Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Sets are your ticket to brokeville?

Loose omaha hi games $1/$2 7-8 people every flop, if you can limp with hands like AAxx, KKxx, QQxx, JJxx do you have odds to call before the flop if hitting a set or boat is your only out?

I am trying to figure out if I am being too loose with these hands or not, I will get to the flop with the nut set, 6-8 people in the hand, and I am losing over and over and over to mainly straights.

I am getting frustrated with marginal calls in this game, will variance be a bitch in these situations or are you laying these hands down before the flop simply because sets don't hold up in this game, regardless of the huge pot odds?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Sets are your ticket to brokeville?

I'm not great at odds, but if someone has a flush draw w/ straight draw against your top set, isn't that pretty much an even money situation?

You can try to keep the size of the pot small, and if a non-threatening card comes on the turn, then it's time to get aggressive. If a bad turn card comes out, it becomes an easy fold, or check-call situation depending on pot size and how many are in the pot. If there's a re-raise or 2 on the flop, it turns into all-in fest w/ a crap-shoot.

I have been taking down a lot of pots lately with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, and even 10-10 sets. My Hilton sisters have been killing AA lately [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 12:40 PM

I think I am just being a crybaby, thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:46 PM

You've brought up a very good point. I think that you do have the correct odds PF in very loose wild (typical) low limt O8B games, but after the flop you really need to have a set or a full or turn a set to win. Dont get married to a set in O8B, I think most of use so because we're so used to playing hold'em and we hate mucking a set, but I think that you know when you've got seven way action on the turn and you're holding a set that could be the fourth or fifth nuts and there's a lot of action that you have to muck. Variance is a little bastard in this game but remember that when you make your hand you're going to win a huge pot.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by KKxx, and if xx means K,K,10,2, I dont even limp with that kind of hand PF. If it were K,K,10,8 I'll play. But if one cars is truely useless to my hand i'm not coming in PF. It's always best to have a two way hand, and big pairs come around fairly frequently so dont play them if that's all the hand is,i.e, one big pair.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:16 PM

There is a huge difference between AAxx and KKxx, between KK and QQ, between QQ/JJ, etc.

and there is a giant difference between say KKQJ double suited and KK93 rainbow.

-g
Old 10-28-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a huge difference between AAxx and KKxx, between KK and QQ, between QQ/JJ, etc.

and there is a giant difference between say KKQJ double suited and KK93 rainbow.

-g

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I wrongly assumed xx meant two garbage cards instead of any two possible cards.

And really, what is the huge difference between KK and AA?

I was mainly talking about flopping the nut set, so if you flop nut KK set you have 2 cards in the deck to worry about, big deal. correct me if i'm wrong, don't expect me to understand your logic when you give me a two sentence reply in a strategy forum.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:39 PM

I think the OP needs to define xx here.

And we can all agree that K,K,2,5 is way different than K,K,10,4
Old 10-28-2005, 04:39 PM

You have a lot more than 2 cards in the deck to worry about when you flop top set. If the flop is K 8 9 - 2 suited, and you decide to lead out for the full size of the pot, you might appear to be way ahead but nobody at the low levels is folding. The texture of the board is really important. If the flop is K Q J, you are now behind in the hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And really, what is the huge difference between KK and AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you flop a set with AA then you have at least 1 card to the made low hand on the board.