Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 02:08 PM

Default overcall against a donkey

The other agressor in the hand is a complete donkey, and it makes the other player's calls mean alot less to me. Still its a pretty loose call off with 2nd pair.

I am not one of these people who can't fold QQ when i think im beat, but for the size of the pot to the players i went ahead and made the call. Thoughts?

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, Q.
UTG calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, 1 fold, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG calls, Hero caps, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (17 SB) J, 4, K (4 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 3 (4 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, CO bets, SB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 6 (4 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, CO bets, SB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Hand Result, don\'t read till youve responded

I don't know how relivant the result is, but i know it will be asked for so here it is:
workingu2 shows [ 9h, 9c ] a pair of nines.
fraidy shows [ 9d, Jd ] a pair of jacks.
AaronC shows [ Qs, Qd ] a pair of queens.
AaronC wins $1047 from the main pot with a pair of queens.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: overcall against a donkey

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (8 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (17 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

edit: delete the results
Old 10-27-2005, 02:12 PM

honestly i think you should bet the turn and reevaluate if raised.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:18 PM

ok fixed the format, sorry not used to forum posting yet.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:05 PM

On the turn, what hands are you putting them on that makes your call profitable?

I guess a K should have raised you on the flop? Just seems like there are a lot of overcalls and you'll need to spike the Q.

I think you should bet the turn and fold to a raise. Get more money in if ahead, fold if not, etc.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:41 AM

Draw heavy board so people could be calling with a lot of things. The lack of raise on the flop suggest you could be OK -- with the draw heavy board, top pair is going to want people to fold. Bet the turn, and fold to a raise from a sane player. Handing out a free card to 3 players who all called the flop could be disastrous. Depending on who had stuck with me to the river, there could be a value bet there too.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:23 PM

4 people in a capped flop says a little something about the players.

HUGE drawing board and with this size pot none of these players are going anywhere. Q9 is NOT folding.

When your flop bet is not raised I would think you are best. A king should have bet / raised here the board is to scary for any hand to allow for free cards. (Of course in a game with 4 people in for a capped preflop someone could be slowplaying K2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

I like the turn and river play. You are probably ahead (certainly enough chance that folding is not an option in this size pot) and no one is going anywhere anyway. [This sentence makes it sound like you should value bet] But I wouldn't, no way is someone with a J going to be able to resist betting when you check your hand. And you really don't want to get raised. So a check more often than not gets the same $'s in the pot when you are winning and saves you a few bets when you are losing.

The turn and river cards were perfect for your hand. Call it down and let them bet into you.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:26 PM

this hand wuldve been pretty sweet if youd checkraised the field on the turn... that wouldve ruled!
seriosly, you basically have the nuts here.