Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 10:00 AM

Default AQ and a great opponent at 6-max

Assume we have no reads on villains, how do you play this?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero ?

Now, let's say that in this session, SB has:

Called PFR in BB w 77, then bet every street with a AJ2AT board

Raised PF w K7o

Capped PF w A9o, then bet into PF raiser every street w JTK2T board

Raised PF from SB w Q5o, got re-raised PF, then bet flop and turn, and 3 bet river on a 97T45 board

BB just sat down, no reads. Now how do you play it?

Comments appreciated.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: AQ and a great opponent at 6-max

According to your reads I like the way you played it against SB.

BB scares the hell out of me. All those calls then a cap. I don't think we beat him very often.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:07 AM

I would have slowed down after the 3-bet on the flop against an unknown and called down. Top pair's good and all, but you're pushing a little too hard here.

EDIT: Ahh, SB is a bit nutty. I guess your betting is fine then. BB jumping out of nowhere though means we're pretty much cooked...
Old 10-27-2005, 10:10 AM

Call down the first 3-bet. No need to go agro and put yourself in a bad spot.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:10 AM

Did you want an answer to both with reads and without? Here is my line minus reads:
I think you have to slow down on the turn. I would probably call down though.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
According to your reads I like the way you played it against SB.

BB scares the hell out of me. All those calls then a cap. I don't think we beat him very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

It did scare me, but we're getting over 10:1 odds and he may just have 2 big spades. Call, and call one on the river sound OK, or do we fold somewhere?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:17 AM

You've pretty much committed yourself to a showdown. Call and hope the river action isn't crazy.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:24 AM

just an aside question: you're capping preflop based on your "numbnuts" read of SB right? i don't cap in 6-max with this hand, but want to make sure i'm not missing something.

as far as the hand goes: i'm not capping the flop. continuation betting is one thing, 3-betting is something else. i'll probably see showdown base on pot size unless another [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] comes out i guess [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just an aside question: you're capping preflop based on your "numbnuts" read of SB right? i don't cap in 6-max with this hand, but want to make sure i'm not missing something.

as far as the hand goes: i'm not capping the flop. continuation betting is one thing, 3-betting is something else. i'll probably see showdown base on pot size unless another [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] comes out i guess [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of my read of SB, yes, but also because I have someone else along for the ride who, if he is the typical opponent, often has a marginal hand. Typically I would not cap it.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It did scare me, but we're getting over 10:1 odds and he may just have 2 big spades. Call, and call one on the river sound OK, or do we fold somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you gotta call teh turn, he may only have 2 pair so you have outs, or he may have a pair and picked up a flush draw.

I would call 1 on teh river, not more than that. It looks as though BB has us beat on the turn.

I'm curious what he had.