Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Hard to lay down AA

Villain is MP1 17/9/1.7 (300 hands)
Hero has pocket AA UTG. I've been at the table for awhile and feel that a UTG raise could get no action but there is enough later position raising that I should be able to 3 bet. Villain raises and I get my chance to 3 bet

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold</font>, MP1 raises</font>, 2 folds</font>, CO calls, 3 folds</font>, Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.
Here is where I am questioning my play. It's pretty obvious to other players that UTG limp/raiser has high pocket pair. So after I lead on the flop, villain raising probably indicates JJ or QQ at worst case for me, and maybe QJs at best case. Either way I am probably behind so it was probably a mistake to 3 bet flop, but I wanted to push here and then c/c after.

Turn: (11.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.
Is c/c on turn and then river just spewing, should I just fold after villain turn bet?

River: (14.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, [color=#CC3333]MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 16.20 BB
Old 10-26-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Hard to lay down AA

Don't LRR with AA. Do it with other hands for value on rare occasion but not AA.

Your range of hands for villian is far too small since you didn't include flush draws in your range. The fact that he didn't cap pf or the flop makes me doubt QQ or JJ. More likely he has AQ or AJ or a flush draw (KJs makes sense) at this point.

Why did you three bet the flop but then check/ call the turn? Do you really think villian's bet means anything after you check the turn? You put yourself in a situation where you had to guess what his bet meant. Just lead the turn and see what happens. If you were going to check the turn you should have check raised but I don't like that as much as leading and calling a raise.

There is a strong chance you're losing this hand. However the pot is big and the only resistance you've gotten is from a TAG who backed off on the flop and bet when checked to. Folding is not an option.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:58 PM

I think you should have bet the turn.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:02 PM

my thinking at the time was i don't want to bet the turn and get raised and then have to think about folding, I took the cheap option but you are right, then I don't know what villain has and am paying 2 bets anyway
Old 10-26-2005, 09:41 PM

Call the flop raise and check-raise the turn.

-d
Old 10-27-2005, 03:00 AM

Well firstly, it's not insignificant that you have a gutshot draw on the turn giving you the odds to make a correct call. Once you check the turn, villain has a wide range of hands. Why are you so sure he has QQ,QJ or JJ. AQ, KQ, (less possible and still possible- AJ, KK, flush draw).

Anyways, I say keep betting and go into check call down mode once it gets raised. Don't lay this down. It sucks to lose this, and maybe you can bet/fold the turn if the board pairs, but I don't think it's a good idea to fold this.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:39 AM

I like the way you played it.. If in fact villain does have qj then you have outs, if he has qq or jj you have outs. I think folding the winner here would obviously be a huge mistake in this pot, and possibly gaining/losing more bets by getting aggro here is not as important.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:55 AM

I'm only reply to offer a different approach to this hand than has been voiced so far. It is riskier but has done well for me over the years. It is very similar to the master himslef Texas Dolly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Either Pre-flop or on the flop, I'm pushing HARD! As Doyle has written, you want people to FEAR you and he is not going to out guess himself due to what a flop looks like. So he pushed hard or even ALL IN on any flop UNLESS it is a three card straight or flush flop. REMEMBER in your exmaple you have a back door straight, flush and two other ACES...YOU EVEN HAVE OUTS!

Now the MATH....He is only 2% to hit two pair and only 11% to hit trips with a pocket pair. So given this math and the fact you have outs, I would have probably went all in and made him gamble with either a 33% chance on a straight, flush or even less with top pair and a Ace kicker.

I know this is scarry but since I started playing AA and KK this way I have had MUCH more success. Plus you don't have to worry about that Ten on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My two cents.
Phily000
Old 10-27-2005, 02:19 PM

Philly, are you aware this is a limit hand?

I think a turn bet is good. If raised, call, then check/call the river.