Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 09:52 PM

Default First real attempt at a squeeze play (Am I missing something)

Blinds 400/800 (5.50 rebuy 3rd hour)
LP (15k) raises to 2400
Button (13k) calls 2400
I push JQ (all 30 k) from the small blind and it was the first time I had reraised all day. I think this shows that I have probably Ak,AQ,10-10 or JJ and at worst AJ-88-99. Both LP and button seem passive-loose preflop. LP said he called because I put so much in there but any other reraise puts a half to 2/3rds of their stack in. Should this not be used in these low level tournaments.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: First real attempt at a squeeze play (Am I missing something)

It is usually good not to reraise a loose passive. These are players that are only raising premium hands. Loose agro's raise followed by a w/t call is the best opportunity to push. (from my understanding of Harrington's theory)
Old 10-25-2005, 10:04 PM

How about loose passive not afraid to blind steal. Was shown K10s and he hit his gutshot straight on the river. He was calling a lot of raises and would steal blinds in position but was not over aggressive when doing it. Lets say you knew the guy did not have a top ten hand (would you make the move?).
Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 PM

against a W/T player, sure. But Passive players like to call. If he calls with garbage behind raisers, there is no reason to believe he'll fold to this AI, right? It ins't about what he has, it is about whether or not he will fold.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:13 PM

Makes sense, but who do you use the squeeze play against?? Seems like if you know the guy is raising light and caller is calling light then it should be a good move. Seems like the planets have to align along with the moods of the other players involved. Would a raise to 8-9k signal some warning bells or does it matter.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should this not be used in these low level tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brunson say don't try fancy play on bad player.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:22 PM

From what I've seen/read/experienced, I think the key is for the original raiser to be loose, showing that he'll raise with weak hands. Then the caller to be tight, where with a big hand, he'd re-raise, so he's on a med pair or Ax.

The cards you hold don't make much difference, though I prefer to do it with a big stack and crap cards, raising just enough to make them muck, but little enough that I can get away from a push.

That's just me.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 PM

So you're saying its more effective with 50 BB stacks then 20 BB stacks. It would seem with players loose preflop you would get at least a call if you gave yourself wiggle room. Do you make a half pot bet on any flop or do you give up.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Makes sense, but who do you use the squeeze play against?? Seems like if you know the guy is raising light and caller is calling light then it should be a good move. Seems like the planets have to align along with the moods of the other players involved. Would a raise to 8-9k signal some warning bells or does it matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the tournaments Harrington plays in there are plenty of oportunities; in those you play in very few.

You really have to pick the right spots to do it with junk. Best to use a hand like the one you used, a standard limping/restealing hand like 2 braodway cards, a pp, or a suited connector. That way you may be OK if you are called.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 PM

OK, I'll just take it as a good attempt that ended poorly.