Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Two AK hands

$100-200 NL
Blinds are $3/5
9 handed

Hand 1

Table is semi-loose and passive. No limp reraising or anything like that.

MP1 is loose, passive, passive. His PT stats would be 50%/0%/.5%.

Stacks:
MP1 has $300
Hero has $220

Hero is in the BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero raises to $30, MP1 calls, CO folds, SB folds

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Pot $70

Hero bets $50, MP1 calls

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (2 players)
Pot: $170

Hero checks, MP1 bets $90, Hero pushes...

<font color="blue">I am a donk. I pushed because I figured that I was almost all-in anyways and so I might as well get all of the money in the pot now. Just plain stoopid thinking.</font>

Hand 2

Mr. Action is has taken a seat at the table and has turned the table into a very loose, mostly passive game.

Mr. Action's stats would be something like 90%/50%/8%

Stacks:
Mr. Action $320
Hero covers

Hero is UTG and dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: Hero raises to $35 (the size of my raises didn't matter much on this table, so I tried to get the most value that I could), it is folded to Mr. Action in the SB who raises to $65, BB folds, I think for a while and call.

<font color="blue">This was one of the few times that I have seen Mr. Action reraise preflop. I put his hand range on AA, KK, &amp; QQ. I didn't think that he would reraise with AK.</font>

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Pot: $130

Mr. Action bets $100, Hero raises $200, Mr. Action pushes all-in, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">I raised here for two reasons:

#1 Since I already held an ace and a king, I thought that it was more likely that he held QQ than AA or KK. That gave me potentially 6 more outs to add to my nut flush draw.

#2 I raised trying for a free card. I had seen him call and then check to the raiser before and I hoped to do that now since I was a 2:1 dog if I could see both cards. There was no way I could blow him off the hand and pushing all-in would do nothing but elicit a call.</font>
Old 10-23-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Two AK hands

hand 1 is really bad...the continuation bet is questionable...any action after that is just bad....when a LPP raises they have something.

hand 2...why would Mr action only reraise with a premium pair???????? you called him Mr ACtion! If you are sure of ur really weird read fold pf.

If u are as unsure of it as I am then u played good...normally push flop but I guess u raised enough that it was essentially a push so whatever. I vote he has TT-QQ here.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:09 PM

Hand 1:

[ QUOTE ]
$100-200 NL
Blinds are $3/5

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, max buy-in is only 40x the bb! That must really change the nature of the game from most on-line 100x bb games. I would think that continuation bets on a missed flop probably go down in value since everyone's just about pot-committed if they make or call just one pot-sized continuation bet on the flop?

I think OOP with no decent draw and no A or K on the flop, that checking to see if villain gives you a free card is better than betting. Sure, you give a free card, but you might get a free card too. Then if you turn or river an A or K that doesn't make a flush, value bet small and hope he calls with A8 or something.

Once you make the continuation bet, you are representing an overpair, and his call is saying either "I have a pair and I'm an AK cop calling you down," or "I can beat an overpair and want to suck you in further," or "I'm on a draw." Your problem is that even a draw with a pair is ahead of you here, and he's not going to go away based on stack sizes and pot size. So, I'd check/fold the turn and river if you don't get a non-flush A or K for free.

Hand 2:
[deleted, i really didn't like what i said about this hand.]

On second thought, I think your line looks ok if there is any chance at all that you think Mr. Action might fold. Even if he doesn't, you have up to 15 outs as long as villain doesn't have AA, KK, 99, or 55.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2...why would Mr action only reraise with a premium pair???????? you called him Mr ACtion! If you are sure of ur really weird read fold pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was one of the few times (like 1 in 40) that I had ever seen him reraise preflop. He was called Mr. Action because he would almost always raise preflop and if he had position, he would always bet postflop. Come to think of it, the last time he did reraise preflop he had AKo, so that would be added to his possible hand list.